Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

8MM Remington Mag Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 8MM Remington Mag Questions

The Douglas barrel you mention, can you give me some of the stats, weight, contour, twist, length etc., maybe model #, I hear so much about other Barrels but my gunsmith swears by Douglas too. I have a Broughton #5 sporter contour and I like it. Doesn't seem to foul much and it's very accurate, but that's not just the barrel, it was reamed pretty straight I'd think too. I have a 7stw, built off the same case.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I don't read much on 8mm Rem Mag, was it popular at one time? What's the benefit? Is there a lot of brass out there, bullet selection?

At one time they were considered one of the best Elk cartriges available because of there
energy and trajectory.

There were not as many bullet selections in .323 dia as there are today but there were not
many for the .338 at the time ether.

It was also used for the big bear and considered all anyone would need for North American
game.

The 340 Weatherby was sold in much more expensive rifles and the 8mm rem was very
affordable. Both calibers were notorious for recoil because muzzle breaks were also not
very common.

The 8mm Rem case is the parent case for the 7 STW and other wildcats.

8mm Ammo and brass is still available and when the STW brass was/is in short supply the
8mm brass is easy to re size to the STW.

The 8mm Rem Mag is still used to day and reloaders can get the most out of this cartrige
with good bullets, and considering the recoil most have been fitted with a break for those
that are recoil sensitive.

It is a good alternative to the cost of buying a 340 Weatherby.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

OP, Barnes bullets in particular do NOT like to be seated like conventional bullets. Where are you seating them in relation to the land? Jammed? Jump?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I don't read much on 8mm Rem Mag, was it popular at one time? What's the benefit? Is there a lot of brass out there, bullet selection?
Ed, Craig Boddington, from Rifle shooter magazine is a staunch 8 mm man. He has done things with it, and Swears by it's ballistics. That round never caught on like it should have. That case has been necked up and necked down, but the parent case, never really set the woods on fire. It is a true long range HAMMER, in the right hands, if you can handle the recoil. I think that is one thing that may have hurt it popularity. Recoil was stout, and in your face.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a new 8mm mag 700 BDL about 35 years ago. I also owned a pair of Weatherby Mark V 300 mags at the same time. I didn't keep the 8 mag very long because I liked the 300's better. A friend of mine has used an 8 mag as his primary hunting rifle for at least 20 years. He uses Barnes 200 bullets.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of people seem to like the 300 Weatherby. It has great ballistics. I am within days of receiving a Ruger #1 300 wm, and the seller has 2 300 Weatherby's that he loves. It may be the next big caliber I buy. I'll see how much I like the 300 wm first. It may be all I can handle without a break. It doesn't have a break so I'd guess if I had a Weatherby I'd opt for a break, but then again there may be ways around that?? What is the deal with 300 Weatherby brass? Are they the only brass maker? Is it a good case design? Does it require large amounts of freebore or is that just the way Weatherby makes their rifles? The ballistics look awesome.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

the 220 sierra is THE bullet for long range in the 8mag.