Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

8mm brass 7mm stw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 8mm brass 7mm stw

etisll40,

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned this so far, but no, the 8mm Rem Mag is far from being "the only" case that can be made into 7mm STW brass. There's an entire family, most of them far more readily available than the 8mm Rem Mag, which is itself somthing of a rare bird. Try the 300 H&H Mag, or the always readily available 375 H&H. There's a couple of Weatherby cases that would also work, but cost would be considerably higher, and there may be issues in reforming that double radius shoulder. I'd suggest the 375 H&H as being the easiest to find, with the 300 H&H right behind it in order of preference. Norma makes both, and they're of good quality. Certainly far better than the Remington stuff you'd most likely be starting with if you were to reform from 8mm Rem Mag cases. As far as Lapua goes, we've had some discussions along these lines, but there's nothing brewing on the immediate horizon. Sorry I can't have better news for you, but that's just not in the works anytime soon. Anyway, try the 375 or 300 H&H as parent cases, and I think you'll be off to a good start.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Well, I'll beat this (dead) horse again.
The case on the 7stw is fully formed when you run a 8rem through the sizing die, so no fireforming is really necessary. If you have an extremely sloppy chamber you could fireform but it is a firing off the case for little gain. If you are running the h@h casings through your 7stw die for casings I would fireform as your capacity will be quite a bit less as the case isn't fully formed.
Thanks, and I apologize for the redundant questioning. Haven't had much time to search the topic lately.
The rifle should have a tighter than average factory chamber. I'll just run a few through my FL sizer, load em up and see how they do.
Good to hear there are more options out there with the H@H cases.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
etisll40,

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned this so far, but no, the 8mm Rem Mag is far from being "the only" case that can be made into 7mm STW brass. There's an entire family, most of them far more readily available than the 8mm Rem Mag, which is itself somthing of a rare bird. Try the 300 H&H Mag, or the always readily available 375 H&H. There's a couple of Weatherby cases that would also work, but cost would be considerably higher, and there may be issues in reforming that double radius shoulder. I'd suggest the 375 H&H as being the easiest to find, with the 300 H&H right behind it in order of preference. Norma makes both, and they're of good quality. Certainly far better than the Remington stuff you'd most likely be starting with if you were to reform from 8mm Rem Mag cases. As far as Lapua goes, we've had some discussions along these lines, but there's nothing brewing on the immediate horizon. Sorry I can't have better news for you, but that's just not in the works anytime soon. Anyway, try the 375 or 300 H&H as parent cases, and I think you'll be off to a good start.
I just got 100 Nosler 8mm Rem Mag last week, so that should do me for awhile. I did notice that H@H cases were readily available. I may pick a few up and experiment. I'm new to this, and haven't done any forming cases, or necking down for that matter. Sounds easy enough though.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
Thanks, and I apologize for the redundant questioning. Haven't had much time to search the topic lately.
The rifle should have a tighter than average factory chamber. I'll just run a few through my FL sizer, load em up and see how they do.
Good to hear there are more options out there with the H@H cases.
No apology needed.....
Even a good, tight ghamber is apt to be a bit long with a belted mag, so you may have some slop. I've got a custom barrel on my current pipe and she's a few thou. longer than my rem sendero was. I think a reamer that's been sharpened a couple of times will actually do a better job of getting you a chamber that doesn't beat up your brass because it's on the long side.

I've done plenty of 375h@h to 7stw and they are great. I have always used rem brass but may try other brands of this supply funk keeps up for more than a few months.