Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7RUM reloading problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7RUM reloading problems

In that factory new ammo doesn't chamber reliably, I think you're wasting time with looking for an answer in the reloading process. I'm surprised that the rifle was given to you knowing that the problem existed. Either way, your smith is much more capable of getting to the bottom of this and you should give him the opportunity to correct it.

Before visiting the smith I'd be inclined to try some different factory ammo just to see what happens. This may help solve the mystery.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

The forster die can be a litttle long in length and may not bumb the shoulder back but actually cause it to move forward. Been there done that. It sounds like you don't have a guage to measure what you are doing to the head space and you really should pick one up from Hornaday or Sinclair. I would try thr RCPS die and see what happens after you measure, the cost of brass today warrents it. I had to send the forster die in to get shorten, no big deal other then time. If the issue is a very tight speced chamber you will be happy in the long run, though with the 7 RUM it's not very long to begin. Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Bronze Member

One thing he forgot to mention regarding the factory ammo that would not fit... When the gunsmith and I measured the factory ammo the necks size was bigger then specified. The neck is supposed to be .322 and the bullets that would not fit were +.365 up to .380 if I remember correctly.

I have the same gun, with the same barrel, which was built using the same reamer and I have no problems... I think it might be something with the dies but I am no expert either...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 PM

Update. I attempted to chamber an empty FL resized case and it chambered perfectly without any resistance. Once I seat a bullet, however, I run into the problem. I marked up the bullet with black paint and it appear that a portion of the bullet is making contact with something within in the chamber before the round can be fully chambered. Only about 1/3 of the circumference right above the neck of the brass is making contact with something. It's difficult to explain but I've got a couple pics if anyone knows how to post them. I've checked the freebore and I know that the bullet is not anywhere near touching the lands. I'm going to send the pics to my smith in the morning to see what he has to say.