Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm Weatherby magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Weatherby magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
First off....I am a big Weatherby fan, so I'm NOT knocking on Weatherby with this post. This is just my observations.

Weatherbys seem to be picky, from all I've read. My .257 Wby is not a picky gun. It likes the heavies, so I feed it 110 & 115gr bullets and it shoots ultra tight cloverleafs. I have noticed that most Weatherbys seem to like heavy bullets because they have a fast twist rate.

Believe it or not, I've found that alot of Vanguards won't shoot from the factory. The Sub-MOA's will, but alot of the regular Vanguards I've noticed alot of guys getting 1.5-2.5 MOA accuracy out of at 100. My buddy's Vanguard .300 Wby Mag for example shoots average 2.0 MOA groups. My Mark-V Accumark shoots 0.5 or less MOA groups. Granted, he could probably spend about $150 and have a smith bed the action, float the barrel, true the headspacing, etc... But still, we're talking about a $750 rifle shooting 2 MOA groups at 100 yards...IMO it should be doing better than that. I've got Remington's and old tang-safety Ruger 77's that shoot 1/2 MOA groups @ 100 and I paid half what he paid for that Vanguard.

I hope Weatherby has really stepped up their game on the S2's.
interesting post about the Vanguard. My first one is a 30-06 and early enough to have the MOA warranty. It shoots very well, I can get groups at the 3/4" mark at 200 yards on occassion in near perfect triangles. Yet at one hundred yards it dosn't shoot anybetter! Figure that one out! Seems to prefer the 150 thru 165 grain bullets. Brother at the sametime bought a 25-06, and that rifle was a rock solid 5/8th" rifle out of the box. The first group I shot with it was five bullets in a dead flat string, and all were touching each other. I have another one that is not a MOA warraty gun, and it shoots about the same.

Have three MK. V's, but actually have only shot two of them. (one I forgot I even owned) Two 30-06's and the 270 mag. The one's I shot have been 3/4" rifles out of the box with a good barrel break in, and not much else. The third rifle will eventually become a .338-06AI or something close to it in .338. Got too many 30-06's as it is!

I've just never had a problem with any Weatherby rifle I've been around, let alone owned.
gary

Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Weatherby magnum

I have never had any issues, but I went straight to the top-tier when I bought mine, and went with an Accumark...

I have never heard of a Mark V having any issues, and very few Vanguards, but I have heard that some of the newer Vanguards wouldn't shoot. My buddy has had his since we went to college back in 2005, and he got it used from his sister-in-law's dad. He's killed several deer with it, so when he told me he was lucky to hit a 2" group at 100 I was really surprised. I'm gonna try to look at it over the weekend and float the barrel, and take a look at a few other things.

It would have been more surprising if his was the first I'd ever heard of....But unfortunately it isn't. I have talked to several guys over the years who pulled their factory barrels off after several boxes of expensive ammo not shooting worth a damn, and did a complete custom job on the rifle. They said it would shoot afterwards. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.