Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm Weatherby magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Re: 7mm Weatherby magnum

try 65gr of IMR 4350 with a 140gr accubond nosler bullet. bullets touch in my 7mm rem mag. weatherby case is similar.

accurate shooting makes good clean hunting
Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

one thing I've learned about every Weatherby I've owned and just about all the others I shot. They are a cold barrel gun. If you shoot them one shot after another they will send bullets left and right. The best way to tell what's going on is to shoot one bullet and let the barrel cool down. Then shoot another, and another allowing the barrel to cool off between shots. Don't worry to much about this as your going to hunt with a cold bore anyway.

Secondly pull the action out of the stock to inspect the front pressure point. On those light weight barrels this can be critical! I have one with a wood stock and the skinny barrel. But the pressure points are in great shape and it's an effortless .75MOA rifle with Remington Corelocks! Better bullets and a little care reloading the ammo would probably give me an honest .60" five shot gun. Also after firing new ammo (factory), trim each case square again.

I don't ever hunt with a VLD bullet, but with two or three exceptions. I've just never saw anything out of them to warrant using them. Other guys I know use them and love them, but they spent a lot of time and money making them work. Lots of folks cuss the free bore issue, and I always get a good laugh at them. It's a rare case when a throat dosn't have some free bore in it. I have three factory rifles that have almost .20" free bore in them, and shoot just fine. One even shoots better than another with the same chamber and zero free bore. But if the free bore is very loose around the bullet you will have some issues.
gary
Old 06-21-2013, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member

Its an older thread, but reading through I see a 1-10" twist referenced. The older ones were 1-12", they may have changed at some point, but the one I played with key holed a bit with the heavier bullets. It would shoot the lighter bullets well enough. Lighter meaning less than 160 grains. We used some of the Barnes originals 195's, the Weatherby wouldn't group them, but the Ruger 77 7mm Remington shot them rather well with a 1-9' or 9.5" i can't recall now. We weren't shooting long range then so shot well meant to 300 yards on the long end. Terminal performance was good with the Barnes Originals, when the Berger 195 gets here it will be interesting to see how it fits into 7mm guys plans. PS a friends 300 Weatherby was the worst shooter in the Weatherbies I've seen.

Last edited by HARPERC; 06-21-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

I have experience with 240, 257, 270 and 300 wby. The factory rifles with heavier barrels like an Accumarck shot MOA the ultra lights did not.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Gold Member

when i get a stubborn gun i sometimes take a big swing. If im shooting a 7mag and it wont shoot say 5 differnt 140s ill swing to 160s or if it doesnt seem to want to shoot any conventional bullet ill try a tssx. My 300 wby was like that. It wouldnt shoot moa with anything and i tried about every cup and core bullet from 150-200 grain. everything was 1.5-2 inch. I loaded up some 180 tssx bullets in it one day as a last resort (im not there biggest fan) an low and behold the thing shoots 5 shot 3/4 inch groups with them.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Bronze Member

Do you use a concentrity gauge to measure and correct runout? I found that some dies are better than others. I had the same issue with a 7mag. Got the gauge and found that the die was not consistent. We corrected each load and it has shot everything since. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

First off....I am a big Weatherby fan, so I'm NOT knocking on Weatherby with this post. This is just my observations.

Weatherbys seem to be picky, from all I've read. My .257 Wby is not a picky gun. It likes the heavies, so I feed it 110 & 115gr bullets and it shoots ultra tight cloverleafs. I have noticed that most Weatherbys seem to like heavy bullets because they have a fast twist rate.

Believe it or not, I've found that alot of Vanguards won't shoot from the factory. The Sub-MOA's will, but alot of the regular Vanguards I've noticed alot of guys getting 1.5-2.5 MOA accuracy out of at 100. My buddy's Vanguard .300 Wby Mag for example shoots average 2.0 MOA groups. My Mark-V Accumark shoots 0.5 or less MOA groups. Granted, he could probably spend about $150 and have a smith bed the action, float the barrel, true the headspacing, etc... But still, we're talking about a $750 rifle shooting 2 MOA groups at 100 yards...IMO it should be doing better than that. I've got Remington's and old tang-safety Ruger 77's that shoot 1/2 MOA groups @ 100 and I paid half what he paid for that Vanguard.

I hope Weatherby has really stepped up their game on the S2's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.