Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm Weatherby magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

7mm Weatherby magnum

Has anyone had any luck getting one to shoot sub minute? I have tried three bullets and 6 powders, played with primers etc and I just can't get anything under 1 1/2". I know Weatherby guarantee is 1 1/2 minute but surely it will do better. I've done searches on multiple forums and haven't found much on the 7 Weatherby. This is on a Mark V deluxe, scoped with a Leupold VX 3 in Burris Signature Zee rings.

I have the same rifle in a 30-06 and easily 1/2 minute with IMR 4895 and a 150 Nosler BT. My .243, .223's and 30-30 I can get sub minute, so I know it isn't me.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Weatherby magnum

What weights of bullet have you used?? wby uses a 10" twist(unless they have changed) on this one so you may have to go to a 140-150 grain pill (no heavier) to get good stability. I'd try a 140 sierra pro-hunter with rl22 and a 215 in it. I've gotten three 7rems, a 7 rum, and two 7stw's to eat this to 1/2" groups. The charge varies between cal's but all shoot it.
If you are stuck on boat tail pills I'd go nos a-bond as they have a rather short tail and usually act more like a flat base.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

the B/C maybe too high for a ten twist. I shoot the 270 mag (nearly the same case), and I find the chamber wants the bullet out as far as I can safely load it. I also find that it dosn't like light weight bullets, and prefers heavy stuff
gary
Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

First Weatherby I ever bought was a MkV 7Wby Mag. I was still in high school and spent every pennie I had to purchase it. Was probably the prettiest rifle I've ever owned hands down. But, "pretty" was all it was. Unfortunately, like yours, 2in. groups were on really good days. I don't think mine ever shot as good as yours does.

But, I was 16 and all I cared about at the time was that I had a Weatherby MkV and how pretty it was. So I feel your pain for sure. Had a good friend about 10 years ago that bought one, his was about the same way as yours and mine. He actually tried to make his shoot well too. He had it bedded and a new crown cut and it didn't really change anything.

I'm not sure why they don't seem to shoot very well and I'm certainly not saying they are ALL like that but when I hear grumblings about Weatherby's that shoot very poorly, they're usually 7mm Wby Mags.

Will be interesting to hear what some of the guys here come up with for help for you. There has to be someone out there that has a decent shooting one from the factory or knows how to make one off the shelf shoot well.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Not sure if this will apply to your rifle, but I have a Factory Rem 700 in 7wby that loves 140 ballistic tip with 74 grains H4831 with 215m primer. I was amazed at how much the case stretches on the first firing. I bought a Wilson case gauge to set up my dies so I can extend case life. Hope you are able to find something.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member

The Bullets I have used were the 168 Gr Berger VLD, a 160 grain Nosler and currently now the 150 gr. Sierra Spitzer.
Powders I can remember off hand (all wrote down at home) are IMR 7828, IMR 4350, Vita Vouhri N560, 570, RE 25, H 1000, RE22 maybe RE 19 as well.

This was done in the factory configuration, I've bedded the rifle and free floated the barrel, added a pressure pad back in, took it out..... About the only thing I haven't tried is tapping my foot while shooting and wearing a tin foil hat.

This gun is about to get re-chambered in a Shilen or Krieger 7 Remington mag and a McMillan or laminated stock. Driving me nuts.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
First Weatherby I ever bought was a MkV 7Wby Mag. I was still in high school and spent every pennie I had to purchase it. Was probably the prettiest rifle I've ever owned hands down. But, "pretty" was all it was. Unfortunately, like yours, 2in. groups were on really good days. I don't think mine ever shot as good as yours does.

But, I was 16 and all I cared about at the time was that I had a Weatherby MkV and how pretty it was. So I feel your pain for sure. Had a good friend about 10 years ago that bought one, his was about the same way as yours and mine. He actually tried to make his shoot well too. He had it bedded and a new crown cut and it didn't really change anything.

I'm not sure why they don't seem to shoot very well and I'm certainly not saying they are ALL like that but when I hear grumblings about Weatherby's that shoot very poorly, they're usually 7mm Wby Mags.

Will be interesting to hear what some of the guys here come up with for help for you. There has to be someone out there that has a decent shooting one from the factory or knows how to make one off the shelf shoot well.
My .270 mag started out shooting a MOA with factory ammo (wasn't Weatherby brand). With hand loads I started seeing 3/4" groups with little effort of even bullet selections. I certain it's a .60" rifle with better bullets and a little more effort. I also have a 30-06 MK.V. light weight rifle that started out with similar groups and easilly shoots under 5/8th's groups off a cold barrel. I have a Vanguard in 30-06 (wood stock mid 1970's rifle) that will shoot even tighter groups off a cold barrel. I often shot a 25-06 Vanguard from the same era, that shot sub half inch groups with junky hand loads, but once again a cold barrel is key here. To be exact, I've never seen one that would shoot 3/4" groups with hand loads from any era.

Interestingly, I have never been able to make any serious gains in velocity over the factory Weatherby ammo (loaded by Norma). If it won't shoot send it back; they'll make good on it.
gary