Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which 7mm STW Dies and Brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

Which 7mm STW Dies and Brass?

I want to start reloading for my Remington Sendero 7mm STW I just bought and I have a few questions.

Which dies to you recommend? I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and have always used RCBS Dies.

I'm thinking about Redding Dies, whats the difference in the the regular FL die and the Type S Bushing FL die?

Also has anyone had any experience with the RCBS X-Dies? The description says:

"The patented X-Die eliminates the need for repeated trimming after an initial case trim of .020" off the maximum case length. A specially designed mandrel contacts the case mouth and reduces the growth rate. Because of an extremely close tolerance between the mandrel and die neck wall, the neck wall of the case does not thicken as the case length is pushed back. Cases repeatedly sized in the X-Die will initially grow a few thousandths of an inch, then stabilize below the maximum case length with no discernable loss of accuracy or case life."

It sounds interesting and does it work?

I'm also trying to get some brass. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack for 7mm STW brass these days. Since WW and Remington do longer makes it, does anyone have with Nosler Brass in this caliber? I know it's very expensive just for the brass. I'm thinking about getting a few boxes of the full loaded Nosler Ammo in 160 Accubond to get a feeling for the new rifle and then I will have some Nosler brass to reload then.

Thanks!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: Which 7mm STW Dies and Brass?

Congrats on the getting the STW. If you decide to go with Redding, I have a new 2 die FL set that I will sell for $40. I bought the dies before I found a rifle and then ended up with a 7wby rifle. I do not have any brass. Send me a pm if interested in the dies.
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

i use standard rcbs dies and they work fine. As to brass, best grab anything you can as its rare as hens teeth.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Gamehawker, welcome to the Brotherhood of the STW! The x- dies, work just fine. I have a set of them for my seven mag, and they work just fine. Just set them up as per directions, and trim your brass .020' or in your case, trim them to 2.830. The die takes care of the rest. As far as brass goes, it is few, and very far between, I have about 200 plus pieces of brass, including some premium factory ammo that I bought from a guy that has sold his rifle. I have 3 rifles in this caliber. You can form them from 8 mag brass, which I do see often in discount fliers. Also try gun shows, and the classifieds here. Let me know when you are ready to load. I have some great formulas to get you started. There are a lot of STW shooters on here as well. Good luck, and don't give up! AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Keep your ear to the ground for brass. I believe Winchester will be running some stw brass. I don't believe they have dropped it, but have reduced it to a "seasonal" or otherwise special run. Of course I could be wrong, just ask my wife.

If and when they run some it will go fast so stock up and hope it's a good lot.

Festus
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

here you go they make good Brass !
Quality Cartridge
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Gold Member

there links on that page wont open for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browtinehunter View Post
here you go they make good Brass !
Quality Cartridge