Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm STW-case splitting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

7mm STW-case splitting

alright.. i have been shooting my STW for a while now without much trouble until today.

a case split around the bottom of the case and when i looked at the other loaded rounds, they had "stress" marks in the same area so of course they would do the same if i fired them. the loads have been kept below maximum and this was only the fourth time the round was fired. the primer pockets have never blown out, the bolt has never been hard to open (ways that have usually let me know the load was too hot). ????

i am wondering if it is just a bad batch of brass. i have shot my winchester brass around nine times with no problem (different load). i bought some federal factory rounds for the brass as i always heard that federal makes good brass and the selection for STW brass is very limited. i shot the factories, and then this is the third time reloading.

bad brass... or the loads just too hot???

any help or ideas is appreciated.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW-case splitting

You should check your headspace.

d-a
Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

head space is good. the rifle has a long throat and you can't even get close to the rifling without the rounds not fitting in the magazine. i am loading at the recommended overall length.. thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Gold Member

Overall length and seating depth have nothing to do with headspace. Since belted cases headspace on the belt, your FL die could be moving the shoulder back too far, resulting in case head separation. Measure a fired case from head to shoulder, then measure one after you have FL sized it. You may need to get ahold of a comparitor for a caliper or, have someone with a 7STW reamer make you a "Widget"
I would discard all of your brass, from this batch, and start over with new brass, after you get your die set right.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Gold Member

to set your die expand a stw case, or start with an 8mm RM brass, screw your die in till its 3/8's above the shellholder and resize, try it in your rifle, it shouldn't fit, now screw your die down a lil at a time until the bolt just closes with a lil resistance, then lock your die down, its now set to your chamber, and fed brass is thinner than most.
JS
Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

i use the stoney point gauge and the shoulder is set back a few thousandths after the round is fire. (partial full length sizing). if federal brass is thinner i think that is the problem. i have had no problem with the winchester brass and the die hasn't been changed. thanks. tyler
Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

If the split is a circumferential split then in my opion I agree with the post above that it is a head space problem.........