Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm RUM reloading difficulties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 04:58 PM

7mm RUM reloading difficulties

So heres the deal...

I just started trying to reload rounds for my 7mm RUM. I ran across this problem of messing up the case when I load the bullet in.

I am using RCBS Dies. I resize the case, the shell will feed fine, but as soon as the bullet goes in, I cant lock the bolt down, or its really hard to do.

This doesn't happen every round but Id say 3/5 times it will.

Now its not the bullets, theyre the right size, and if I take the shell that didn't work, take the bullet out, resize the case, and it will work again.

So my assumption is that when I am pressing the bullet into the case there is enough friction in pressing the bullet that its deforming the case.

So my question is, is there a lubricant for the bullet for cases such as this? Is there something I've missed? I know the neck is clean and deburred, so the friction is the only thing I can find to blame it on, but I have never experienced this before.

Any help is greatly apprectiated!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm RUM reloading difficulties

You probably know a lot more about reloading than me, and have probably considered what I will suggest, but you don't have a chamber that's on the tight side do you? Are the cases trimmed? Is it a factory gun or custom? I'm not the right one to diagnose this problem but just throwing a few things out there.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Have you measured the outside neck diameter of a round that chambers and one that won't? Is there a difference, if so how much? Also check the neck thickness, some cases may have thicker necks and when the bullet is seated in a thicker necked case it might expand enough to be tight in a tighter chamber. Neck turning might be in order.

Chris
Old 09-26-2005, 07:09 PM

Well the gun is a Sendero SF. The brass I am reloading is from factoy Remington rounds that I have fired already. Fired once.

I didn't have any problems with locking the bolts with the factory ammo. And I've shot about 80 rounds through the gun since I purchased it new.

Also, I have not measured the neck width, but right now I believe its unlikely because if you take the 5 that I loaded and you have 3 that dont want to fit right...

Unload those rounds resize and reload, and the ones that dont fit now, may be the ones that fit not 5 min before.

Thanks for the suggestions, and when I get the chance, I will measure the necks.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

HC
Are you seating these to fit the mag. or are you trying to get close to the lands? Wondering about overall length if trying to stay near the lands.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HC
Are you seating these to fit the mag. or are you trying to get close to the lands? Wondering about overall length if trying to stay near the lands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive tried lengths from I believe 3.6 to 3.9

The length seems to have no effect on the problem. I am mainly trying to make this work with the factory lenght for now...
Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Writers Guild

If the case length and neck diameter check out, try measuring the base on the case in front of the extractor groove and at the shoulder. Believe it or not, FL sizing dies don't always size enough. The RUM is a high pressure rd and brass can grow very quickly. If the dies don't bump the shoulder enough or squeeze the base, it doesn't go in.

The fact that some brass does and others don't leads me to believe it's a die issue. Sometimes taking just a bit of the bottom of the die is enough to bump the shoulder and make the brass chamber.

Nothing wrong, just a stacking of tolerances.

However, having a OAL with that much variance and not crash into the lands is not a good thing. With a throat that long, accuracy is not likely to be in the tiny arena.

Jerry