Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7MM RM and Berger VLD's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7MM RM and Berger VLD's

for mine what has worked the best is 64.9 gr. IMR 7828 ssc Seated .005 into the lands and grooves with a federal gm215 primer and federal brass. It gives me an average of 3063fps. I never did try retumbo though but I did try 4831sc and rl 25 and they did not seem to shoot very well.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Mike,

My COAL = 3.452 - 3.454"

This measurement is from the case head to the tip of the VLD.

That is good to hear. I tried to measure mine with the technique of using fired brass that is crimped with a berger loosely placed in the mouth. I was getting 3.465. Wow that is long.

To be safe I ordered a Hornady Lock n Load OAL Gauge to check how deep the chamber was.

I wait to load some up after I check the chamber out. I can tell you that at 3.420 they don't shoot all that well.;)
Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and new to reloading. I currently just reload 9mm with a Dillon RL550. I just bought a new tikka t3 lite in 7mm Mag. I've been reading a lot of posts to try to figure out what to start with. I just have a few questions. What does "....seated into the lands" mean? I'm familiar with COAL but I haven't heard this term before. Also, I'm debating between IMR 4831 and 7828, any advise? Also, any more info for a newbie is much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

when it is said that the bullet is seated into the lands and grooves it simply means that the bullet is seated farther out than the max masured ammount from bullet ogive to the base of the brass. You find this masurement using the stoney point seating depth guage system. When you close the bolt you are actually seating the bullet. this is what people call jamming the bullet into the lands and grooves or seating the bullet into the lands and grooves. This method works well for berger vld bullets more times than not.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM

If I use a longer max COAL and chambering it actually seats it how much should i crimp the round? Just enough to get the bell out of it?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Hello there Tikkaman, I hope this message gets to you before you attempt to crimp those bullets. Unless the bullet has a cannelure in it, you should not attempt to crimp them at all. Crimping a non-cannelured bullet will distort the bullet, and possibly skyrocket release pressures. Typically, the neck pressure alone, be sufficient for most shooting purposes. I dont recommend crimping that bullet at all. At best, velocitities are going to be eratic, and the bullet itself is not DESIGNED for a crimp. Pistol bullets are the more frequent for being crimped, and are usually equped with a cannelure for that purpose, and the reason that MOST rifle bullets are not, is because of un-known intended seating depth. Some rifle bullets are avail with cannelure, but usually with special purpose in mind, (ie30-30 bullets). Goodluck and BE CAREFUL. That rifle and the bullet you have chose are good ones and will reward you well. That bullet alone is one of the very best available at this time, and it will fly true, but DO NOT crimp it. 7stw