Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm rem mag brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm rem mag brass

I have been useing federal and have no complaints. Still useing the 100 that I got from 5 boxes of factory loads that I bought in Sept. 2007, of the same lot number.
I trim, clean and clean the primer pocket every shot.
They have been fired then reloaded 5 more times each (yes I keep records of how many times my brass has been fired). 2 months ago I annealed all of them and then full length sised them after the annealing, usually I only neck sise.
I am not sure how many times is acceptible to reload, before I got the federal stuff I was useing winchester chrome plated stuff and the chrome stuff started to crack and split at the necks after 4 reloads (again I started with factory loads).
So, for me federal brass good winchester chrome plate not so good
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

When I started loading for 7mm I used Win brass, because that was the factory ammo i shot, and to this day have had good luck with it.
Recently i have been into a lot of Fed brass that has impressed me enough that i will continue to use it.
I have had alot of problems with neck tension and soft brass with Rem pistol brass, so i have always stayed away from it for rifles.

My suggestion to you would be to buy a few boxes (assuming you don't already have them) of Fed ammo, shoot it up so it fireforms and use the heck out of it!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 AM

2nd the Hornady brass!!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rd0 View Post
I have been useing federal and have no complaints. Still useing the 100 that I got from 5 boxes of factory loads that I bought in Sept. 2007, of the same lot number.
I trim, clean and clean the primer pocket every shot.
They have been fired then reloaded 5 more times each (yes I keep records of how many times my brass has been fired). 2 months ago I annealed all of them and then full length sised them after the annealing, usually I only neck sise.
I am not sure how many times is acceptible to reload, before I got the federal stuff I was useing winchester chrome plated stuff and the chrome stuff started to crack and split at the necks after 4 reloads (again I started with factory loads).
So, for me federal brass good winchester chrome plate not so good
they are not chrome plated it is nickle plated
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

A little edge goes to the Winchester brass. Once sorted and prepped it shows a LITTLE more case capacity. Used with Winchester Mag primers and a Moly coated Accubond Long Range It is very easy to get 3150 FPS. No other case have I found can do this. Nosler is over priced Federal cases.