Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm- a quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Writers Guild

Re: 7mm- a quick question

How far are you planning on target shooting? Accuracy requirements?

If you want very long barrel life, then you need to reduce pressures and velocity. However, that doesn't always give you the 'feel' of recoil to practise control.

One possibilities is cast bullets. The '06 comes to mind. You have a nice accurate cartridge that can be used in just about any hunting application when the appropriate bullets are applied. You can even get some very good LR performance and bullets are simply everywhere.

now you can make or buy cast bullets from 180gr to 210gr. Reduced loads will still simulate the push for handling and can be very accurate, even when ranges go beyond 200yds.

With gas checks, these bullets can reach 1800 to 2000fps. With a 210gr bullets, that is a nice firm push.

These cast loads will extend your barrel life into the range you are looking for. When the need arises, you can always load some jacketed bullets either for target shooting or hunting.

The larger the bore, the longer the throat life given a similar level of performance.

Something to consider.

Jerry
Old 06-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Bronze Member

I think you should give the 308 a chance. it is a very accurate round, easy on your barrel and is an excellent choice for big game hunting. I have a friend in British Columbia, who is a hunting guide and he uses his old savage model 99 to kill everything from deer to moose to brown bear. I even told him he was crazy for using it on brown bear but he smiled at me and said you got to shoot'em were it hurts.

P.S. A 175/180 grain bullet at a mild 2600 fps has nearly 2300 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

I was really thinking about the 308, as one should when you are new in the game. Even still, I am very intrested in the 7mm bullets. First I was thinking about the 260 aka 6,5-08.

But stuff the 30-06 with a 140-170 grain 7mm pill, and you should have a bullet that out shoots the 308, and 30-06. At least on paper. This is what I've read, but I am not sure. That is why Im asking.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

How about a 7mm bullet stuffed in the 308 case- 7mm-08. I think If you are set on the 7mm bullet this would probably be the best round for you, And with a 160 grain bullet at about 2600 fps it will have 2100+ ft. lbs. all the way out to 300 yards
Old 06-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Goodgrouper,

Actually this was for an XP-100 owned by SScoyote here on LRH. He contacted Richard Graves and myself looking to design a handgun system with 1 mile capabilities.

Richard designed the bullet, a 200 gr ULD RBBT and SS and myself talked over the powerplant options and settled at first on the 7mm WSM.

Well SS wanted to use Norma brass which is certainly not a bad thing to do when your trying to hit at 1 mile with a handgun. The only problem was that Norma did not make the 7mm WSM brass, only the slightly shorter 270 and 300 WSM hulls.

TO use these in the 7mm WSM would require necking up and then back down to form a secondary headspace shoulder for fireforming.

The performance gain would be very little if any so I asked him what he though about using a simple 270 WSM necked up to 7mm? HE said fine and I ordered in some Norma brass to take measurements off and drew up the reamer print and had it made.

When I range tested the XP at 300 yards before shipping it was averageing right at 1.5" groups ctc with a 2-7x Burris handgun scope.

SS has still to develope a load with the 200 gr ULDs so I can not tell you what top velocity potential is. It will be nearly identical to the standard 7mm WSM, within 20 fps I would suspect.

You may want to drop sscoyote a line and I am sure he will get you all the data he has on the wildcat. The nice thing is that you can use a 7mm WSM FL die as a neck die and a 300 WSM FL die as a shoulder bump die so its pretty simple to set up for.

With carbide cutters it is a simple process to take 0.030" off the length of a set of standard 7mm WSM dies as well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

7mmag man,

What you say certainly has alot of trueth to it for sure. Bullet drop is very easy to predict, espeically if you understand angles and such.

The problem is wind drift. The higher the BC bullet and the faster you can drive it the less wind drift you will get. It is not bullet drop that is the enemy to long range consistancy, its wind drift, thats why we try to get pencil length bullets flying as fast as we can get them to.

Thats my reason for the Allen Magnums anyway, I may be a bit crazy though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

My 7-270WSM is being assembled right now. It has a 28" broughton 5C 1:9 barrel. I'm planning to shoot the 180Bergers. I'll be doing load development in a couple of weeks so I'll post the results.
Kiff has a reamer designed for this with a .311 neck (thats the one I got).