Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm Mag brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Mag brass

I have seen a loose primer leak enough to burn a freakin hole in the bolt face on a 300RUM! I rarely handload my 7mag cases more than 3 times. I am using Winchester Nickel plated stuff with a stiff load tho. I get it once fired from a bunch of guys that shoot factory fodder.
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

I think Joe is spot on. I've used the paperclip, "thingy" since 1983 and I trust it. After you straighten out the paperclip get a, "new" case and run the tip of the clip into the case until you feel it hit the top of the belt. Rotate the case with your fingers as you feel around the entire inside of the belt. It should be smooth. When you run it inside a several times fired case you should start feeling a rough spot just above the belt. Any case that I feel the roughness in goes into the trash. Not worth it.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Truly good Seven Mag brass is getting tough to find nowadays, for the exception of Norma. That stuff is truly the best out there now. The pockets stay tight, the necks are decent, and overall life is very good. If sized and loaded correctly, and cared for, I think 7-10 firings can happen. That all depends on the chamber also, and of course proper resizing.
The domestic brass just dosen't last. I have fired and trashed some with as little as two firings, and with Norma brass, and the same load, at least 6-8 firings.