Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm Mag brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Bronze Member

7mm Mag brass

I have a lot of Norma brass I have shot 6-7 times. I barely bump shoulders each reloading and am not running extremely hot loads either. When do I know it's time to stop using this brass? It looks great, resizes fine, etc. I just don't want case head separation or get a case stuck in the rifle. How many reloading should I expect?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Mag brass

Bump the shoulder as in just enough the you don't feel resistance closing the bolt? Are your primer pockets staying tight? Do you anneal your case necks? If your not pushing pressures, minimal case working during resizing and annealing, I don't see why a guy can't get 10+ loads on a case. Norma case are known to be a bit on the soft side you might see less, to bad lapua doesn't make 7mag brass.

One thing you can do to check for incipient case head separation is, straiten out a paper clip and bend a hook on the end, so you can feel the inside case wall near the case head. If you feel a grove there you might want to consider tossing those cases into the recycle bin.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, yes, and no I don't anneal. Thanks for the paper clip tip... I will try that. What are signs that brass is end of life?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Bronze Member

A+ on what Joe said,very good reply with great info.Well said
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

You most likely either notice your primer pockets loosening up, or some resistance to your bolt closing. Every time you shoot and resize your also working the brass near the head and sooner or later it has to work harden. With how you doing things now I would expect case head separation, without annealing though you notice the necks with eventually start to split.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

How bad are loose primer pockets? I've got some that look great with the exception of the primer pocket being loose.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

I've never tested it to find out. When seating primers if I feel that a primer went in to easy I toss the case .03 for a primer is nothing so why risk it leaking gass. I've never had the experience of a primer falling out or leaking either.

Joe