Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7mm Dakota Dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

7mm Dakota Dies

I'm building a 7mm Dakota and I would love some redding type s neck bushing dies. Redding has a 20 week lead time or something crazy like that. Graf and Sons has a 2 piece but with the brass I bought I want it to last as long as possible. I called Dakota and bought 100 pieces of brass that they said was made by Norma. I guess after this stock is gone they will be having hornady make it.

Anyways any suggestions for some type s redding dies anywhere?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm Dakota Dies

Have you tryed Midway? I was looking into the 7mm Dakota but it just seems like a real pain in the butt.I wish you luck.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Graf and Sons has a two die set in stock. I was thinking of getting this then ordering a neck die later.

Its been so long since I have used a full length sizing die, but is it possible to not resize the body with them and just resize the neck? If I take the expander ball out of the full length sizer die, will I get similar results as the type s bushing dies?

I'm just so used to using the titanium nitride neck bushings and stuffing new bullets in them. No lube to clean up just a little case prep and what not. After awhile they have to go through the body die but just seems like the type s dies don't work your brass as much.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizin View Post
Graf and Sons has a two die set in stock. I was thinking of getting this then ordering a neck die later.

Its been so long since I have used a full length sizing die, but is it possible to not resize the body with them and just resize the neck? If I take the expander ball out of the full length sizer die, will I get similar results as the type s bushing dies?

I'm just so used to using the titanium nitride neck bushings and stuffing new bullets in them. No lube to clean up just a little case prep and what not. After awhile they have to go through the body die but just seems like the type s dies don't work your brass as much.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks
The thing about using a fl sizer die is the neck will generally be a little to small thats where the expander comes into play and opens the neck back up. You can have a fl die sent off and have it honed out to the dimensions you desire, which is basicly what a bushing die is except you are stuck with one neck size. Ive neck sized brass before on a fl die but id say you are still working the brass more than with a neck die just because its made to work the body as well not just the neck.

Hope this helped,
Nathan