Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7 STW brass wont chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7 STW brass wont chamber

I don't know whether your being sarcastic in your reply or not but had you said you have a custom barrel and you had cut one of the pieces in half to eliminate headspace as the cuplrit in your first post, I would have said just throw them in the trash or try to pawn them on some other poor soul with a factory barrel. Winchester most likely isn't going to do anything for you. That brass past last inspection and is within SAMMI spec I'll bet on it. Your custom barrel with tight tolerances is not Winchesters problem! I would be surprised to say the least if they took them back. Then again, they might because thats what good companies do, the customer is always right regardless. I would do like Buffalobob said and have the headspace reset on your rifle or your going to run into this problem all the time with new brass. That's the way it is when working with custom stuff against SAMMI specs. It can be a pain in the *****.

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7 STW brass wont chamber

If WRG is correct and you've simply got a custom chamber that is headspaced out of SAAMI specs then a gunsmith would be able to correct the headspace, but I'd rather have the same chamber reamer used that initially cut the chamber than running a sloppy run-of-the-mill factory spec style chamber reamer in there and screw up what was otherwise a nice snug fitting chamber that would improve brass life and possibly be of benefit to the accuracy of the rifle.

And if that's the case, these 50 brass casings should chamber in just about any other chamber, so there may be nothing wrong with the brass if the front of the belt to the case head measurement is indeed within SAAMI specifications. Know anyone nearby with a 7mm STW? Try then in another chamber.

Some custom chambers are cut on the snug side, but I don't know why a gunsmith would underdo the case head to front of belt case head measurement - unless someone specifically ordered the chamber out of SAMMI specification headspace.