Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

7 mm dies and brass??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 PM

7 mm dies and brass??

I just order a Forster press.Now I need to get dies. I will be using Berger vld 168 or 180 gr I like the idea on using Forster dies but still a lot to chose from there too??
And could you tell me the brass you have the best like with? That you can find now?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7 mm dies and brass??

Bigg, the Forster dies are very good. Bruno Shooter Supply has Nosler brass @ $1.41 each only 7mm I could find. I personally have not had good luck with new Winchester brass (folds in necks, bent and weight issues). I am sure you will find brass some where to suit. Check the Berger site for twist rate requirements for the 180 gr bullets. Good luck
Old 03-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Bronze Member

Cabelas and cheaperthandirt have nosler and norma 7mm rem mag brass in stock. Norma is very good stuff and I think they make nosler's brass too. Powder valley, sportsman's warehouse, and cheaperthandirt also have remington and winchester in stock. It's not hard to find 7mm rem mag brass right now. Look on gunbot.net, they list quite a bit of it. If I didn't want to shell out the money for the norma/nosler I'd probably just go with remington, I've not had any problems out of their 7mm rem mag brass.

Forster dies are very good, the benchrest full length set should do you nicely. The ultra micrometer set is nice but is the exact same thing as the benchrest except it's got a micrometer head. The micrometer is "nice to have" but doesn't load any better ammo, it's just easier to make seating depth adjustments with.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Thank for the post's. Forster micro die is better for the vld seats off the ogive ?? is that right???
Old 03-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

You can get different seater stems for any die manufacturer.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

I prefer Winchester over Rem, Hornady or Fed. Haven't tried Nosler in 7mm. But Nosler in .223, and 22.-250 is fantastic.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

+1 to Winchester brass. Had about 3 bad on my last batch of 100 for my 7mm rm. They last longer than Remington brass in my experience. I do all the brass prep steps minus weight sorting and have always had great results.