Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

6mm Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6mm Remington

I use the 100 gr. Partition in my 6mm Remington and it shoots great with IMR4350 and H4831SC. Your rifle should have the 1-9 twist so it will stabalize the heavier standard bullets like the 95 and 100 gr. Partition.

My son's 6mm uses the 90 gr. E-tip and he is death with that thing. He shot his first elk ever last year with it at 350 yards and she went 25 yards at tops and tipped over.

A new bullet Nosler has come out with but I have not been able to locate yet to try which I think would be a terrific one with a high BC would be the new 90 gr. Accubond. Hopefully by fall we will see some of those.

The 6mm is a great coyote, deer, and antelope round. I think he'll fall in love with it! Good purchase!
David
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
. It's too bad Remington didn't get the twist right to begin with. If so you wouldn't even hear about the 243 today.

Twitchell@infowest.com

Amen to that brother! Remington messed up big-time on that one!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
In '58 or so Remington went to a 1:9 twist on all their 6mm's. That gun should stabilize
up to 100 grainers and even 105's. The earlier guns were a 1:12 which would make
shooting todays longer bullets near impossible.
it's not the weight of the bullets so much as it is the B/C. The nine twist just won't do those .45 B/C's. I had trouble with most bullets that carried a B/C close to a .40, and even a few that were in the .38 range. I figure the Berger 95 grain VLD has a higher B/C than the 88 grain low drag bullet. It pretty much takes an eight twist barrel to make the VLD's work in a 6mm.
gary
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
I use the 100 gr. Partition in my 6mm Remington and it shoots great with IMR4350 and H4831SC. Your rifle should have the 1-9 twist so it will stabalize the heavier standard bullets like the 95 and 100 gr. Partition.

My son's 6mm uses the 90 gr. E-tip and he is death with that thing. He shot his first elk ever last year with it at 350 yards and she went 25 yards at tops and tipped over.

A new bullet Nosler has come out with but I have not been able to locate yet to try which I think would be a terrific one with a high BC would be the new 90 gr. Accubond. Hopefully by fall we will see some of those.

The 6mm is a great coyote, deer, and antelope round. I think he'll fall in love with it! Good purchase!
David
A Nosler Partition bullet actually has a lower B/C than the Ballistic tips, and is much lower than the VLD's
gary
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post

Amen to that brother! Remington messed up big-time on that one!
Opinions will vary a great deal on the twelve twist barrel verses the nine twist one. I've seen 90 bullets stabalize well in the twelve twist, but they all carry a low B/C. Yet most 85 grain bullets work well in that twist rate. I shot sub half inch groups out of all three rifles using the Hornaday 85 grain bullets, and one of the Rugers would shoot in the mid fours and high three on a regular basis. Yet if you are shooting something like an 80 grain Blitz in them, you are over stabalizing them. Thus causing the group size to grow a bit. My 6BR uses a 14 twist barrel, and it will stabalize the 80 grain Blitz; although they are starting to open up slightly. The 75 grain bullet is near perfect. Shooting Times did a couple tests many years back compairing slow twist barrels with the fast twist barrels, and the results were surprising. I think Remington should have done a ten twist barrel in the .244, as it would have pretty much worked with every bullet on the market at the time. Remember the 24 caliber was originally ment to be a varmit rig.
gary
Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
it's not the weight of the bullets so much as it is the B/C. The nine twist just won't do those .45 B/C's. I had trouble with most bullets that carried a B/C close to a .40, and even a few that were in the .38 range. I figure the Berger 95 grain VLD has a higher B/C than the 88 grain low drag bullet. It pretty much takes an eight twist barrel to make the VLD's work in a 6mm.
gary
It's the length of the bullet, not the bc. It just works out that heavier higher bc bullets
are also longer.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Boy, all this chatter on the 6mm is going to force me to reach deep in the old safe and blow the cobwebs off my 6mm. 22" Douglas air guage barrel and 85 grainers it is a perfect, "carry-all-day rifle.