Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

6MM AI or 6MM - 284

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 6MM AI or 6MM - 284

[ QUOTE ]
Don,
Thanks, Great info, I am just about ready to make the decission to 6-284. How is it for barrel life, I expect it will be a barel burner like the AI, but hey you have to pay the piper if your gonna dance!
Do you mind sharing the loads you use?
Thanks
Chuckster

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to type in load data just in case I mess up and someone dies.....but....

107s with 51 grains of H4831sc will shoot in the teens at 100 in this rifle.

70s with 55.5 grains of the same is a .4XX shooter. I had the twist set for the long bullets but the light ones do fine too.

I use Lapua and Norma brass and Fed Gold primers, every charge is checked on a scale, brass is prepped. The rifle is nothing fancy. Savage stainless with a Duramax stock. It isn't even bedded. Nightforce 8-32 Benchrest stock, Warne picatinny base, Nightforce rings, Pac Nor supermatch, 27" Light Palma, tight neck.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Bronze Member

Don,
Thanks for the info, I can't make the conversion in time for my Prarie dog hunt in may but will send rifle off when i get back and let Jim Borden work his majic on it.
Thanks
Chuckster
Old 03-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

As for barrel life I really think if you do not get it hot it will last about as long as a standard 6mm Rem. I mean I am only shooting about 4 to 5 grains more powder than the 6mm Rem I had. As for loads I use mostly R-22 and with a 95 grain Ballistic Tip I am in the 53 to 53.5 grain range depends on how hot or mild the R-22 is. As for your twist I would go with a 10 twist if you go with a 12 twist you will have trouble with most bullets over 85 grains. My dad built one with a 12 twist now he wishes he would have went with a 9 or 10. As for accuracy mine will shoot those 95 grain Ballistic Tips in the 1 1/4inch range shooting 3 shots at 500 yards with my bipod.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Bronze Member

dakor,
Thanks everyone has been very helpful, I have decided to go with the 6mm-284, for the reasons I mentioned at the begining. The wasy I see it I am doubling my barrel life as I won't have to fore form my brass!
Will let everyone know when i get the rifle back and how it works.
Chuckster
Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Chuckster,
I see you made your decision rather quickly (7hrs), if it is not too late let me give you something to think about. I own a gun chambered in both of these rounds,in my experience I would not chamber a 6-284 (again)in anything other than a 1-8" for VLD (105-107gr). it is just too overbore for a 1-9,1-12" shooting 95gr bullets or smaller. I burned up my first 6-284 (1-10")in short order,then I switched to a 1-8" on my second barrel extended my range several hundred yards and as far as barrel life goes only time will tell. as for the 6mm Ack if you are going to shoot 95gr or less it is the only way to go for several reasons, first is that it has such a long neck that you can touch the lands from 55gr to 95gr, the powder capacity is enough smaller that you double your barrel life including fire-forming (contrary to your suggestions) and lastly even though on many posts I have mentioned a hatred for Rem. brass on my 6Rem brass it is surprisingly good but if you want better use Norma 7mauser brass.hopefully I did not offend Bushchook again on this post.
B
Old 03-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Bronze Member

Brian,
Your aruments make sense, now I have to rethink this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I have talked to a few gunsmiths and shooters that tell me the 6-284 wouldnt be any harder on barrels than the AI???
When you say short order, how many rounds are you talking about? If I could get this thing to shoot I would stay with the AI but it is driving me nuts and by the time I figure it out the barrel will be toast! Thanks for the input now I'm back to the deciding stage [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] How was acuracy in your 6-284's??
Old 03-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

I really do not know how you can say even with fire forming you will get better barrel life then a 6-284 when the 6-284 only uses about 3 grains to 4 more grains of powder then a 6mm AI? That is like saying a 22-250 AI will get better barrel life then a 220 swift and that just is not true. I have had my 6-284 for the last 6 years I have over 1100 rounds through it and it still shoots just as good as the first day I shot it. I would say I will get another 1000 rounds or more out of it before I need to have the throat re cut. Chuckster I guess my next question is how far are you going to shoot with this rifle and what are you going to be shooting at? I ask because the 6-284 really shines with bullets that are 90 grains or more. I mean don't get me wrong I can shoot 85 grain bullets around the 3750fps mark but I would rather have the 95 grain going in the 3500fps range. You will also find that the 85 grain bullets and lower do not do as well as the heavier bullets in the wind. So if you are going to be shooting over 400 yards you are going to want to use the heavier bullet.