Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

6,5x55 dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Bronze Member

6,5x55 dies

I am getting a new barrel for my blaser rifle in 6,5x55. Which dies do you think i should get? I was thinking of forster benchrest...
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6,5x55 dies

I have really been happy with Redding S Dies. Their micro adjust seating dies makes for perfectly repeatable seating depths off the base to ogive measurement. And I like the bushing option on the sizing die if one needs to mess with neck tension etc.

Scot E.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Forster and Redding both make excellant seater dies. If they're "worth it" or not depends on the potential accuracy of the rig, the shooter, the skill/knowledge of the loader and how well he can develop a good shooting load. What I mean without a lot of case work is there's no significant accuracy benefit over common dies which are, after all, quite good. There's a LOT more to a good seater die than a simple micrometer depth adjustment screw top. Actually they are mildly helpful during initial set-up but I really don't much care if my own good seaters have mic tops or not.

I wouldn't deal with the agravation with the current fad of "neck bushing" sizers for a SAAMI chambered rifle if they were selling at half price. A body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer takes care of my accuracy resizing work quite well.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Forster and Redding both make excellant seater dies. If they're "worth it" or not depends on the potential accuracy of the rig, the shooter, the skill/knowledge of the loader and how well he can develop a good shooting load. What I mean without a lot of case work is there's no significant accuracy benefit over common dies which are, after all, quite good. There's a LOT more to a good seater die than a simple micrometer depth adjustment screw top. Actually they are mildly helpful during initial set-up but I really don't much care if my own good seaters have mic tops or not.

I wouldn't deal with the agravation with the current fad of "neck bushing" sizers for a SAAMI chambered rifle if they were selling at half price. A body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer takes care of my accuracy resizing work quite well.
Interesting perspective. I would be interested to hear how you get consistent base to ogive measurements on your reloads without a micro seater. Not saying it can't be done I just haven't seen a way that accomplishes it as quickly and easily.

Scot E.