Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

6.5 ulta mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: 6.5 ulta mag

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but with good cleaning practices and practical shooting, "let it cool down", cant some one dictate how long the barrel will last.

[/ QUOTE ]

To some degree, yes. To a much larger degree, no.

You can abuse a 308 and still get about 5000 good shots through it and still maintain 1 MOA accuracy. You can pamper a 300 RUM and you will still feel lucky to get 1 MOA after 800-1000 rounds. The more the powder and smaller the bore, the shorter the life of the barrel. Its just the nature of the beast!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thats why we get someone to make 168 gr ULD RBBT in 6.5mm for us crazy fools and drive them to 3300 fps. I suspect their BC from bullet drop will be in the .85 to .875 range, vastly superior to any 30 cal bullet out there save the Wildcats in the real heavy weight variaty and then recoil increases dramatically and velocity potential drops quickly as well.

I fully agree that the 30 cal RUM is a much more user friendly idea, I have one of the very first 300 RUMs to make it into Montana, has over 1500 rounds through it and my brother in law and his family used it this fall to take several deer out to 450 yards with great accuracy. Probably around moa but still getting 3400 fps with a 180 gr Ballistic Tip.

Still, its always fun to really rip a 6.5mm bullet out there fast!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] We do not always need to be practical, good thing or I may be out of a job!!!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Practical is no fun! That is why there are so many bbl makers out there that will build you almost any thing you want. Go for it!

"Let the good times roll"
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

Hi just go with either i would look at having Kirby build you a 6.5 Allen MAg as he will be able to help you with every thing. The only advantage with the full length case is get 7mm Ultra Type S Bushing Full length die from redding and use a smaler bushing to suit the 6.5 neck and you have a sizing die then get a 264 Win Mag Competition seating die and run the reamer into it and you wil have true match grade dies. I would also get a fast twist barrel and use the heaviest projectiles you can. Also look around for the old 155gr Sierra 6.5 MatchKings they were extreemly accurate and if you can find them they are worth their weight in gold in large magnum cases. I actualy havd a coustomer here that is looking at mabe a 6.5 Ultra aswell.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect their BC from bullet drop will be in the .85 to .875 range, vastly superior to any 30 cal bullet out there

[/ QUOTE ]

By using published BC's, yes. I shoot a Lilja 27.25" 12x in 300 RUM and the 178 AMAX. Published BC is .495 I zero my rifle in at 300 yards (dead zero) and she drops right at 34" in starndard air density at 600 yards. This is rediculously flat. Sure it works out to a BC of .495, on the G7 drag function. If you calculate that with the G1 function, its over 1.000. Oh and did I mention that is at 3100 FPS muzzle velocity?

Unfourtunatly, I dont get the same results with my 308. I dont even get quite the published BC even using the G1 function. It is also unfortunate that this particular bullet is not well suited for big bears or moose or elk. It is a good deer sized critter bullet though.

The point is, sometimes paper ballistics just dont cut the mustard.

Please dont get me wrong, the overall ballistic capabilities of the 6.5 RUM are truly amazing. This is in no way intended to be an agument. Just pointing out some of the natural phenomenons that sometimes occur in this art.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
Hi just go with either i would look at having Kirby build you a 6.5 Allen MAg as he will be able to help you with every thing. The only advantage with the full length case is get 7mm Ultra Type S Bushing Full length die from redding and use a smaler bushing to suit the 6.5 neck and you have a sizing die then get a 264 Win Mag Competition seating die and run the reamer into it and you wil have true match grade dies. I would also get a fast twist barrel and use the heaviest projectiles you can. Also look around for the old 155gr Sierra 6.5 MatchKings they were extreemly accurate and if you can find them they are worth their weight in gold in large magnum cases. I actualy havd a coustomer here that is looking at mabe a 6.5 Ultra aswell.

Cheers Bill
Australia

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool info. Is the allen the blown out necked down 378?

I was wanting to stay away from belted mags
Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

Hi the 6.5 Allen mag is a 338 Ultra mag necked to 6.5 and improved to Kirby's design and the 7mm Alen Mag is the 338 LApua Case with the same modifications as the RUM case. They are not belted rounds so if you like the 6.5 Ultra it is easier with dies but the allen mag will have a shorter case with the same capacity and allow a projectile to be seated out longer with the same magazine length they both have the same performance but diferent advattages aswell take your pick and Kirby or Shawn could make you a great rifle in either calibre. IF you choose a diferent gunsmith make sure they specilise in magazine fed magnum long range rifles as their is a diferent approach to asembling them to a target rifle in single shot format.

Cheers Bill
Australia