Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

6.5-300 wsm pressure signs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5-300 wsm pressure signs

Hard to tell exactly what you are seeing but I started to have some signs show up with one of my 270WSM's and it was from the brass getting a little too long. Trimmed the brass and the pressure signs went away.

My chamber apparently is a little on the short side as the case lengths did not seem excessively long.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Bronze Member

You need a new crono. I shoot 6.5 wsm 68.0H 1000 will get you to 3200, shot every powder out. You not going to get more vel less you go to a bigger case. 6.5 wsm and 264 win same case capacity. 6.5 saum couple granes less same vel. Good luck
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

I don't put a lot of weight on ejector marks. I get them sometimes on lower than max loads. It varies from rifle to rifle. If my primers start to crater or I get a sticky bolt, then it's time to back off. I also consider primer pocket case life.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM

I want to apologize to everyone for wasting their time, and also say thank you for the responses. I grossly underestimated what heavy bolt lift on this new rifle was. It felt like ejecting a normal round out of the other rifles I have loaded for. I went to chamber the rounds I shot this weekend and the majority were a snug fit, but I could not lock the bolt on 4 of them. I measured the web and came up with .0015 of expansion over the couple rounds that loaded no problem. I am really embarassed to make such and stupid mistake and also very thankful that nothing really bad happened. I will be doing it over again this weekend, but starting 10gr lower.
As to my chrono being off. I took my friends chrono and put it right behind mine and shot paintballs through it to see if mine was reading higher. There was around a 15 fps difference on average. Both of these chronos have been accurate and verified by drop data many times so Im pretty sure unless something happened to both of them that mine is still reading fairly accurate.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

What did your primers look like? I almost always get craters with a sticky bolt.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM

all of my primers looked normal until the last couple where they started to flaten out and get cratered. The last load had a loose primer when I deprimed it, the depriming rod barely touched the primer and it fell out.

To the person who said they shoot this round with 68gr; do you shoot that load a lot or is it at the max for you?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Bronze Member

That is a max load in my rifle. 3180 fps 28 inch rock.