Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

6.5-284 coal question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

6.5-284 coal question

Hey everybody I just got my rifle rebarreled from 308 to 6.5-284 and got set up to load. First I just want to say this is my road huntin rig so shots should be about 500 or less and I am NOT using the rifle competitively. Now my question is I loaded some 130 gr vlds to a length of 3.10 and when I chambered the round to check it(habit I developed so I don't make it to the range and have rounds that won't chamber) I got some resistance but the bolt still closed. I measured it and it was down to 3.03 overall length. Is that normal or is there something funky goin on? I ask cause I'm relatively new to reloading and brand new to this caliber plus can always learn something. Thanks ahead for the responses.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5-284 coal question

3.10 sounds like the bullet might be entering the lands and is being pushed back into the case. Based on these numbers the bullet is entering the lands .07 before the case is fulling inserted and bolt locked. I can not imagine any other reason for this occurance. My guess, let me know, is that after you chamber and cycle the bolt, the second cycle of the bolt you don't experience this bolt resistance.

I don't know what book you used to develop the load but I would double check the numbers. Bullet types, weights, etc have to all be measured properly to ensure the correct seating depth is acheived. Two bad things that happen is high chamber pressure and the possibilty the bullet gets stuck in the lands when you try to remove the unfired cartridge. Now you have stuck bullet and powder all over inside your action.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
3.10 sounds like the bullet might be entering the lands and is being pushed back into the case. Based on these numbers the bullet is entering the lands .07 before the case is fulling inserted and bolt locked. I can not imagine any other reason for this occurance. My guess, let me know, is that after you chamber and cycle the bolt, the second cycle of the bolt you don't experience this bolt resistance.

I don't know what book you used to develop the load but I would double check the numbers. Bullet types, weights, etc have to all be measured properly to ensure the correct seating depth is acheived. Two bad things that happen is high chamber pressure and the possibilty the bullet gets stuck in the lands when you try to remove the unfired cartridge. Now you have stuck bullet and powder all over inside your action.
I have to agree with brent. It sounds like your bullet is entering the lands. Look at the tip of the bullet, you should see some marking on it if it is. Or at least thats been my experience. Had this happen to me lots of times. Just check your oal.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
I have to agree with brent. It sounds like your bullet is entering the lands. Look at the tip of the bullet, you should see some marking on it if it is. Or at least thats been my experience. Had this happen to me lots of times. Just check your oal.

Good point OAL vs COAL. OAL is the OGIVE to case base length. This is the only true measurement that is meaningful for your specific rifle and bullet. COAL is what the testers used while writing a book. With a 140 VLD my COAL is 3.15 but my OAL is 2.482. This is .100 off the lands. 2.582 OAL is the bullet touching the lands. If I switch to the 160 Matrix I my OAL 2.508 for a seating depth .100 off the lands. So 2.482 vs 2.508 with different weights of bullets. Here is a weird one..... 140 SMK has the exact same OAL as the 160 Matrix.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

We'll I removed the cartridges with no problems thank god. Powder is too hard to come by to be pouring it in my action. And I figured it was touching the lands I just didn't think it would be maxed out that short. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

i use a hornady comparator with a modified 6.5-284 case. . they are not that expensive. and i load .030 off the lands for hunting and .010 off the lands for matches.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Bronze Member

Where did you find your Hornady modified case? I can't seem to find one anywhere

Thanks