Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

4000 fps in a 7mm STW w/140 Bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 4000 fps in a 7mm STW w/140 Bullet?

The venerable .257 Hot Tamale. Now I have officially heard everything. Unbelievable.

Thanks for the good and interesting posts. Always good to remember if something seems to fly in the face of years of known data, it deserves skepticism. No free lunch, as Kirby said.

I am working up a straight wall .45 wildcat, if anyone is interested. It will throw a 350 grainer at 800fps. I'm calling it the .45 Wet Burrito. Get your orders in.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
everybody here should read Bob Greanleaf's article he wrote for P.S. years back on how to blow up an action. It's easier than most people think! This guy is basicly shooting proof loads as a normal load, that will eventually cause some serious trauma.
gary
Anyone that has studied the theory of "Detonation" realizes how close you can run to that ragged edge and never realize how close you come to doing serious damage to a firearm. The larger the case capacity, the slower burn rate the powder being used, the more dangerous this can be because there is more unburnt powder left in the bore at the point of detonation. That being the point when you reach critical pressures and all powder left in the bore ignites and burns nearly instantly instead of progressively.

That is what causes blown primers in best cases and destroyed rifles in worst cases.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

The highest max average pressure for a 7mm cartridge is probably the Weatherby Magnum version at 65,000 psi using SAAMI transducer measuring systems.

If that 'smith was near me, I'd consider betting him a bushel basket full of hundred dollar bills that his 7 STW would not push a 140 out over 3600 fps average from a 26" barrel with a max average pressure at 65,000 psi.

I had a 'smith back in the '60's tell me his .264 Win Mag would push out 140's at 3500 fps at normal safe pressures. After I offered a similar bet with him, he refused saying he didn't want to take my money.

I'd stay far away from that guy.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

No kidding ! I woildn't want to be near him when he pulls the trigger.
My last post just shows how stupid peaple can be. They just want to one up everyone else, but just don't know how that can injure others that are not informed. My advise to those that are new to reloading is to stay with in what the books tell you! Those people know what their doing! Stay safe- follow the rules!
Rupe
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><

Last edited by Rupe; 03-10-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Bronze Member

I get 3222 out of my 7stw with 162 gn bullet 29 inch barrel . with not pressure signs but not above max load in book . but group not that good at .5 inch at 100 yards . I don't think its any need to push a rifle that hard if it don't group . the gun smith I work with said not to push the a-max over 3300 or the tend to open up to early . never tried 140 out of it o
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

In some states, there's laws against manufacturing unsafe ammunition. This guy seems a likely candidate to lose a court case should someone sue him.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
In some states, there's laws against manufacturing unsafe ammunition. This guy seems a likely candidate to lose a court case should someone sue him.
That is what anyone should get if they are passing out dangerous loads to others. If he wants to hurt himself, fine but don't pass it on to others. That is just flat WRONG!
And if anyone gets any load info. from another you should always check to see if it is in tbe book. If it's not then don't use it. IMO

Bid on over $3000 worth of reloading equipment, bullets, cases, and reloads. It was an estate sale and the old guy that had died had a good rep. But I have no idea what these reloads are, so I am going to pull every bullet and toss the poweder. I am not going to hurt because of someone elses possible over max loads. I have.got alot of pulling to do, but my body and my guns are more important then saving a litte work and cash. Besides I only spent $425. for all of it and I've already got my money back out of it and still have more to sale yet. I just think is a wise thing to pull them then take a chance. But that's just me.
Rupe
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><