Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.375 H&H Fireform to .375 WBY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM

.375 H&H Fireform to .375 WBY?

Given the cost and lack of availability of .378 Weatherby brass, is it possible to fireform .375 brass in a .378 and then reload?
Old 12-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: .375 H&H Fireform to .375 WBY?

The title of your thread and what is in the post are in conflict, what are you trying to do?

Gus
Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

doesnt matter if you are trying to go 375 or 378 the answer is no.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Since the 375 wby is simply a blown out 375h@h the answer on that caliber is yes. However, as pointed out earlier, if you are actually talking about the 378 wby (instead of the 375 wby as your title indicates) then it's an adamant NO, as the casing is an altogether different design and is both fatter and taller.

btw, welcome to LRH.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

If the why is set at minimum headspace an h&h case won't chamber. Also there is a thousandth difference in diameter above the belt so that may lead to shorter brass life since it'll tend to stretch easier

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
If the why is set at minimum headspace an h&h case won't chamber. Also there is a thousandth difference in diameter above the belt so that may lead to shorter brass life since it'll tend to stretch easier
Mike, I've never actually had a .375 Weatherby, or loaded for one. I have been around a few, and have considered pushing mine out on occasion. Mostly those guysused fireformed .300 H&H, or .375 H&H. I tossed my Warren Page book as it was falling apart, but I'm fairly certain he also fireformed this way.

I'd never noticed that .001 difference before, but a check of drawings it is certainly there.

One of the selling points for the .375 Weatherby has been the availability to substitute .375 H&H if your ammo has been lost.

I've never known anyone to have a factory .375 Weatherby so maybe the reamers guys are using are a bit generous. Belts can vary a bit also.

So you've got me scratching my head. I'm guessing in the instance of a minimum chamber reamer, it could be a problem.

You probably know, although the OP doesn't ask, will a .375 RUM clean up a .375 H&H chamber?

I'd prefer the .375 RUM to either of the Weatherby choices, but both are certainly fine cartridges in their own right.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

To chime in on this, I own a Win Model 70 in 375Weatherby, it is a classic stainless model that I had rechambered several years ago.
I actually fireform my brass from 375H+H brass with a fast pistol powder and a plug of soap in the neck, works wonders and produces brass that EXACTLY fits my chamber and has no stretching above the belt, which did happen to me when firing full power H+H handloads to fireform with. The .001" difference poses no problem, nor does the difference in apparent headspace dimensions between the 2 cartridge specs, once fireformed the shoulder takes over for this duty anyway negating the belts official purpose.
My brass lasts up to 10 loads, has very little stretching and runs a genuine 200+fps faster than the H+H runs with all bullet weights. I was very impressed with the reduction in case stretching, it has almost gone away. After I fireform my brass it generally shortens around .010"-.015" in the neck and this has taken 4-5 loads to stretch to minimum length of 2.840"

Harperc,
Yes, a RUM reamer will totally clean up a H+H chamber if the neck/body juncture isn't oversize in the original H+H chamber, some rifles have been known to show a step just forward of the shoulder.
In all honesty, the difference in performance between the RUM and Weatherby is neither here nor there, we ran 2 rifles side by side and with identical bullets the RUM only averaged 20fps faster than the Weatherby, even though the RUM had a 26" barrel compared to my 24" barrel.

Hope this helps you choose one.

Longestrange,
You will need to clarify whether you're referring to the 375 or 378 Weatherby to get a correct response from us mere mortals.

Cheers.