Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.375 H&H 300g bullets best velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: .375 H&H 300g bullets best velocity

Thanks for the excellent report. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

2750fps with a 300 grain pill in a 375 H@H is smoking, but you aren't able to keep 'em down to 3.600" are you?? Any accuracy to go with that, or was it just a velocity run up??
My rem has little extra room but I could probably go to 3.650". I'm thinking I still won't be able to use I 4350 there. I have been having good luck with lead core with 4350 though. I'll have to try seated out a bit and h4350 with the TSX, I believe all I had around last time was I 4350 and that's a bit bulkier.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

i would have to look at my book but i have used rl-15 with 270 tsx and the 300 tsx in africa many times and have killed animals out to 318 yards. i can't remember velocity but with 270 tsx it was a touch over 2750. i did not find any difference on buffalo up close so now i stick with 270's in H&H and 300's in 375 RUM
Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

My first attempt at an OCW ladder was a bust in terms of generating useable data. I did, however, learn two things:

1. I need to tweak my benchrest shooting form when shooting a rifle with this level of recoil. I didn't feel like I was getting beaten up and I wasn't flinching, but maintaining good follow through is tricky compared to the lighter caliber of rifles I have shot from the bench in the past.

2. I need to keep an eye on my scope mounts. They worked loose during testing without my realizing what was happening. It was only after testing that I was alerted to the fact that they had worked loose by a telltale rattling noise when I uncased the rifle.

Much to my disappointment, I will have to re-group and continue with the experiment another time. I work overseas and won't be home again until the fall. I hope to continue my experiments at that time.

If my experiments do show promise, I plan to have a picatinny rail installed in hopes of keeping my scope from working loose under recoil while in the field.

If I have learned anything so far, it is that attempting precision shooting with a 375 H&H is a whole new ballgame compared to the lighter caliber rifles I have shot with in the past! It is a new challenge and I like it, but it is shining bright lights on shortcomings in my shooting technique!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

At 2750fps you are too hot for optimal accuracy.
You are going to have to drop it into the 2650fps range to get good accuracy.

Have a hard look at RL-15...the powder of choice...just sayin'!
IIRC I was up around 2700fps with good accuracy with that powder.
Admittedly, it has been 10 years since I loaded for the H&H.

For the long bullets you want to use you should have a look at the 375Rum or even the 375 Wby. I prefer both to the H&H.

Good luck man!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
At 2750fps you are too hot for optimal accuracy.
You are going to have to drop it into the 2650fps range to get good accuracy.

Have a hard look at RL-15...the powder of choice...just sayin'!
IIRC I was up around 2700fps with good accuracy with that powder.
Admittedly, it has been 10 years since I loaded for the H&H.

For the long bullets you want to use you should have a look at the 375Rum or even the 375 Wby. I prefer both to the H&H.

Good luck man!

The OCW workup will tell the tale where the best accuracy/velocity combination is concerned. The reason my first attempt failed was a combination of issues with my bench technique and my scope mounts working loose. Both of those issues prevented me from generating useful data. Believe me, BOTH of those issues WILL be resolved before I start slinging $2 bullets down range again.

At this point, I see no reason to change powders. H4350 has done what I am looking for so far. Pending data generation, who knows?

The same cannot be said of the nut behind the trigger, however. I'd change that out, but I don't have another one.

Where chambering is concerned, the whole point of the excercise is to determine the potential of the H&H when loaded to take full advantage of the high bc bullets that are now available. I am looking to explore the limits of what I already have, not justify yet another rifle (as much fun as that is).
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

You can run a 375Wby reamer into your existing gun.
RCBS makes the dies.
Its is much more agreeable for what you want to do.

Trust me dude RL-15 will come out on top in your OCW test and the velocity will be higher.