Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

375 Cheytac....getting ready!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

375 Cheytac....getting ready!

I just loaded up my first 30 rounds to do load development once my action shows up! (was scheduled for November, now pushed back to January)

I am building a 375 Cheytac on a Stiller TAC 408 action. Benchmark 1/10.5 twist. Will finish at 30", 1.250" no contour barrel/truck axle . McRee chassis, which is now being coated in Multi-cam , Jewel trigger, BAT brake, NF 8x32x56 NXS with zero stop and high speed turrets, Ivey 150 MOA rings. Running the Sierra Match Kings, 350 grains.

Started with H50BMG powder as that is what I had on the shelf. Started at 128.5 grains and went up in .3 grain increments and stopped at 130 grains for now. Used OAL that I jacked from Cheytac's site, their "factory ammo" is loaded to 4.303" so I started there. Will toy with that once I get a few rounds down the tube. Used Tula Large Rifle Magnum primers. Got dies from Dave at Viersco, running the Lee 50 BMG press. Looking forward to burning some powder with this one and hopefully getting it pounding nails before next elk season and find myself a nice high vantage point!

I am hoping I can find a load that it likes with the H50BMG as I have 24lbs on the shelf!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 375 Cheytac....getting ready!

You'll be going nuts staring at those loaded cartridges until groundhog day.

Dumping powder in the case with a scoop shovel boggles the mind just a bit.

But when that 350 SMK smacks something it certainly smacks with noticeable authority. Way more impressive on rocks and stuff than 338 RUMs, Lapuas and edges.

When you get'r together I'll send you my Lat/Lon coordinates to send a projectile Idaho way and we'll verify terminal performance on one of my goats (If I can get it to hold still for long enough.)
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
You'll be going nuts staring at those loaded cartridges until groundhog day.

Dumping powder in the case with a scoop shovel boggles the mind just a bit.

But when that 350 SMK smacks something it certainly smacks with noticeable authority. Way more impressive on rocks and stuff than 338 RUMs, Lapuas and edges.

When you get'r together I'll send you my Lat/Lon coordinates to send a projectile Idaho way and we'll verify terminal performance on one of my goats (If I can get it to hold still for long enough.)

Yeah, that is no doubt, I am already rocking back and forth like Rain Man waiting for that action! It never fails when I have a build going, or a scope ordered, or some other piece of gear that I think I can't live with out it is like they have to wait on a special order of ground up unicorn antlers before they can complete the order!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

If you don't mind me asking,what did the dies set you back? I am really considering doing this build instead of a 338
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

The prices are on the website for Viersco, they were in the $300 range, I don't remember exactly, I try to stay vague on stuff like that so that when questioned by the wife I have plausible deniability! Dave @ Viersco was very good to deal with.

What I see on his site is $289 for a set add $50 for micrometer seating die.
Shell holder $17.00
This seems to be in the ballpark of what I paid for mine. I have the Lee 50 BMG press I am using for this caliber. Good luck....I am still waiting on an action for my build!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Did you go with the 1.450 or the 1.600 stiller? And is there any advantage to either.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

I went with the 1.60", just to make things "Beefier" My thinking was just more mass to support the large caliber and heavy contour barrel that I am running.