Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338 RUM bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

when moose is on the list, i'd give the edge to the barnes. they are simply the best bone bustin, penetrating bullet out there. i just tested a couple of the tipped 3shocks this evening. shot a 168 ttxs into my standard setup, at least it's been the standard for the last couple of weeks. i put a piece of plywoosd, milkjug, plywood, then several milk jugs behind. at 2917fps, it went through the first 5 and was in the 6st jug. it looked as good as any picture you ever saw of them. perfect mushroom with 4 sharp pedals bent completely around. the interesting part to me was that the 2 x 6 board they were sitting on, and the first piece of plywood were bulged out away from the hydrostatic shock that occures when the bullet passes through. i used these same boards last week when i tested the al tipped and sierra bullets. even though they come apart very quickly, nothing ever happened to the boards they were sitting on or the board in front. this would be at least 6 impacts on each board. it's a testament to the fact that a flat front on a bullet, even though it isn't as big diameter wise, will creat a larger wound channel than a typical rounded front bullet. it simply makes more hydrostatic shock. it's the main reason they kill so well.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

Does the accubond hold together if you hit a big shoulder like on a Moose or Elk?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

the Accubond is a shed 50% of it's weight kind of bullet. arguably the best choice for "one bullet that can do it all"
Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinpa View Post
Does the accubond hold together if you hit a big shoulder like on a Moose or Elk?

We haven't had a Moose, Elk, Grizzly Bear, Wolf, or Dall Sheep walk away from an AB yet.

Just ask Philny1..

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinpa View Post
I know this is a loaded question, but I want the best bullet, so which is it? I am planning a Moose hunt, but for Moose, Elk, Caribou which bullet would you use? Nosler Accubonds, Nosler Partitions, Barnes(I have heard that some guys get copper with the Barnes). I would like to use a 225 gr bullet and I am just looking for opinions.
Thanks, Bob
Get a sample of all the different ones that interest you and then see what the gun prefers.

James