Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.338 Lapua questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: .338 Lapua questions

Kind on this same discussion, I have a head space die?? I think. It clamps onto my caliper and measures the o-give of the bullet. But that doesn't give OAL. So when you say measure off the lands, are you basing it off this device and measurement?

Also, my hornady case to really measure to my lands is still on back order so I have no way now to do that. I tried with a bullet and case and put it in the bolt but came off with different numbers with different cases. And not even close.

Just want to make sure I am doing this right
Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

I am awaiting the delivery of a Savage 338 Lapua, 110 FCP-HS. How is the magazine length using either 300 SMK 's or Bergers when seated within .025" of the lands?. Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried drilling and tapping/threading an actual fired case and using it with the Hornady Loc n Load seating depth Gage?

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I am awaiting the delivery of a Savage 338 Lapua, 110 FCP-HS. How is the magazine length using either 300 SMK 's or Bergers when seated within .025" of the lands?. Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried drilling and tapping/threading an actual fired case and using it with the Hornady Loc n Load seating depth Gage?

Greyfox i have a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua and i can seat a 285 grain hornady bthp match which is the same length at the matchking .015 into the lands and it will fit in the mag

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Greyfox i have a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua and i can seat a 285 grain hornady bthp match which is the same length at the matchking .015 into the lands and it will fit in the mag
Thanks Riley, I have a Savage LRP in 260 and it has generous room in the magazine. I'm glad the same is the case with the 338. Art

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

On the magizine 3.850 is stamped on so you should be able to seat them to no more than a coal of 3.850

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Marioq and Greyftthox,Refer to my post #18. The Hornady gauge has built in inaccuracy,WITH their supplied brass. This is a non issue if shooting a fair amount off lands. But if you want a touch or .005 OFF.Your gauge could be giving you the wrong info. Marioq-What you are measuring your bullet with is a comparator, this IS the number you want to use for oal. If you prefer make a dumby to this size and measure the COAL WITH your caliper to tip for a cross reference. Match type bullets, metplates vary quite a bit so the ogive is the prefered method to track length. You can take a fired case,slot neck with a jewlers or fine hacksaw,push in slight with fingers to hold bullet.Carefully insertin chamber,then read oal. Greyfox, I have the tap and have tried to make the gauge case, but it is difficult for me to get the tape to track perfectly straight, resulting in a cocked and poor measurement. If you use the Hornady gauge brass, check it against your fired case, with shoulder gauge insert and you will know the difference to compensate for. Hornady will make you a gauge off your fired brass for small fee

Last edited by sp6x6; 03-21-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
Kind on this same discussion, I have a head space die?? I think. It clamps onto my caliper and measures the o-give of the bullet. But that doesn't give OAL. So when you say measure off the lands, are you basing it off this device and measurement?

Also, my hornady case to really measure to my lands is still on back order so I have no way now to do that. I tried with a bullet and case and put it in the bolt but came off with different numbers with different cases. And not even close.

Just want to make sure I am doing this right
Sounds to me like you are using a Comparator as well but I could be wrong. It won't give You OAL since it measures to the Ogive, which is what you want for seating depth. OAL can very due to Bullet length varience unless You use a meplat uniformer. All I'm really worried about is seating depth so I know how much jump off the lands I have.
I have heard of some making a dummy round for Die set up by using an un-primed uncharged brass, seat the bullet too long and then chambering it using the bolt to seat the bullet all the way. That would give you Your chamber length to the lands. Not sure how well it would work, I have never tried it.