Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338 lapua oal reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 AM

338 lapua oal reloading

hello, I am fairly new to reloading and just got started in reloading the 338 lapua to save money. To start of with I'm using lynman full body dies, lapua brass trimmed to 2.724 once shot, nosler partition 250 grain bullets and 91 grains of h1000 powder, my question is after trimming my brass and I load up the shell the longet overall length I can get to work is 3.55 inches and it seems most people are loading around 3.681? I am shooting a savage 110ba and was wonder if this length can vary on the gun or what. Also for some reason a factory shell that measures in at 3.681 will work but my reloads won't? Any help or comments appreciated
Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: 338 lapua oal reloading

I would trim the brass to 2.714, sierra revised the trim length awhile ago, especially in a savage they're know for tight chambers and sticking cases. Every bullet has a different shape. Oal will be different with every one, you should really get a oal gauge like the hornady to see where each bullet hits the rifling and adjust accordingly. Partition is a pretty stubby bullet they'll hit the rifling much sooner then a long slender match bullet. Load to book max oal until you buy or build a oal gauge. You could paint the bullet with a marker chamber it and if it shows little nicks from the rifling seat deeper until no marks, then seat another 30 thousandths to be safe but with that style bullet I doubt you'll gain much if anything seating it longer then book max. If you don't have any loading books you better get one asap before you hurt yourself. Jamming that bullet in the rifling without any load work up watching close for pressure could cause major pressure spike and or put the bolt permanently in your forehead.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 PM

gotcha man I will take your advice on both and research on how to use the hornady tool thank you
Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM

And I don't want the bolt to do that sounds painfull lol... Also what bullet do you recommend for hunting and accuracy both plan on hunting out to 800 yards I no most of the bullets out there aren't designed for hunting?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, the SMK is a fine game hunting bullet but I use the 250gn SGK loaded 30 off the lands (which is as long as my magazine will take (Savage 11-11 LRH).

It is possible to modify the mag to take a longer OAL but mine shoots just fine at 30 off with H1000. I hear Retumbo is a bit better and I have a jug but I have more H1000 and Retumbo is stupid hard to get right now,
Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
I would trim the brass to 2.714, sierra revised the trim length awhile ago, especially in a savage they're know for tight chambers and sticking cases. Every bullet has a different shape. Oal will be different with every one, you should really get a oal gauge like the hornady to see where each bullet hits the rifling and adjust accordingly. Partition is a pretty stubby bullet they'll hit the rifling much sooner then a long slender match bullet. Load to book max oal until you buy or build a oal gauge. You could paint the bullet with a marker chamber it and if it shows little nicks from the rifling seat deeper until no marks, then seat another 30 thousandths to be safe but with that style bullet I doubt you'll gain much if anything seating it longer then book max. If you don't have any loading books you better get one asap before you hurt yourself. Jamming that bullet in the rifling without any load work up watching close for pressure could cause major pressure spike and or put the bolt permanently in your forehead.
+1, work out a way to find out how far off the lands you are. Also, when you say 3.55" is the longest you can "get to work" what do you mean? Note that the OAL listed in a reloading manual might be for a different bullet than you are shooting. I shoot 300 gr pills in my 338LM and there is a huge difference in ogive vs lands between a Lapua Scenar, a Berger OTM, and a SMK at the same OAL.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
+1, work out a way to find out how far off the lands you are. Also, when you say 3.55" is the longest you can "get to work" what do you mean? Note that the OAL listed in a reloading manual might be for a different bullet than you are shooting. I shoot 300 gr pills in my 338LM and there is a huge difference in ogive vs lands between a Lapua Scenar, a Berger OTM, and a SMK at the same OAL.
After you said this I looked in my manual on the first page of the lapua sections were it says all the detail of the bullet like the brass length, overall length(I guess just a common length) and after looking closely I seen were each bullet has its own overall length and surprisingly the bullet that I'm using it says to seat it at 3.55 oal wich is what I was seating it at anyways..also I found out if I seat the bullet longer that this like at 3.686 I found out that when I close the bolt on the gun it just seats the bullet farther down like at 3.55 inches soy question is should my bullet be able to slide that easily because I don't use great force to close the bolt down?