Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338 Lapua Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM

Re: 338 Lapua Magnum

Spend the money and buy the Lapua brass, spent Hornady brass occasionally sticks in the chamber and has to be tapped out with a cleaning rod.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

I would think due to the price that DTA is using lapua brass in their ammo. I have an srs in 338 lapua and 260 rem. I use lapua brass in all my rifles. you may want to look at the scenar bullets in the .338 as well, both the 250 and 300's.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneb777 View Post
Any of you shooting a .338 Lapua Magnum? I'm about to acquire a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter and looking for some loading info if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks,

Lane
I have a Savage 338 Lapua long range hunter as well and have done quite a bit of research on this site about the brass and loads. I haven't done any load development yet but am pretty happy with the load I am shooting, at the very least it will be a good starting point for you. I am shooting Berger's 300 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical with 88 gr. of Hodgdon H1000 and CCI BR2 primers, seating depth or over all cartridge length will be determined by your magazine which will require a deeper seat than what most would consider desirable. This load is giving me under .5" MOA out to 600 yards so far.

I am using Lapua brass it's going to run you about $2/ea for once fired but everybody is claiming an incredible amount of reloads with it so that's what I would recommend as well. You can load your brass hotter than I am, I think I have heard of people going up to 93 gr but your brass and barrel life will be reduced the hotter you load, with that said I plan to use more powder once I have time to do some load development and anticipate ending up somewhere between 90 and 91 gr.

Hope this helps you a little I am a novice compared to most on this site but I did a lot of research before putting a load together.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Survey SAID, Lapua brass is the only practical way to go. Pricey, yes, but is it worth it? Again yes. My friend purchased 100 pieces last year, has shot them a lot, and they don't grow, pockets are tight, and necks are the same as they were when new.
Anything else is waste of money, and aggravation.