Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338 lapua loading help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Re: 338 lapua loading help

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
in my opinion no but others will tell you different again have you looked at the 280 branes lrx?
Do you have any load data on the barnes you can shoot my way.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino foss View Post
Thanks guys all input is appreciated, I have used Barnes ttsx in my short mag and the rifle loves them but I dont trust the bullet past the 500 mark. I took a stinky old muley last year at 480yards, when I recovered the bullet it looked like I could of reused it in my rifle again. I havent ruled out the barnes yet but they are tougher to get a hold of than the Berger or Smk's so I will be trying them out first.
At least it did not blow up!!!! Did the Muley drop, or run? I have personally had Bergers blow up on me . This happened 3 times, with two different rifles/ calibers, and speeds. Two were with a. 7 mag, one at 219 yards, and the next one was at 365 yards. The third was with a 300 ultra mag. Distance was just inside of 200. Perfect broadside shot, behind, and centered on shoulder. Deer dropped immediately. When I walked over to her, 20 mins, later, she got up, gasping , then I noticed a HUGE flesh wound , pie plate size. She made it to the woods, and we tracked her for nearly half a mile. Did not find her, but with the amount of blood we found, I thought she wa past the next tree. This experience has damaged my faith in Bergers. It really pains me, because nothing I have ever shot is MORE ACCURATE, then these things, but I only have one DRT since I began using them, and 3 blow ups. Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but just wanted to comment on MY experiences with the VLD's. Maybe in a larger caliber, it may, or probably is a different situation. ( thicker jacket, etc.) just my two cents, thanks again!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

dino foss did you get my pm

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
At least it did not blow up!!!! Did the Muley drop, or run? I have personally had Bergers blow up on me . This happened 3 times, with two different rifles/ calibers, and speeds. Two were with a. 7 mag, one at 219 yards, and the next one was at 365 yards. The third was with a 300 ultra mag. Distance was just inside of 200. Perfect broadside shot, behind, and centered on shoulder. Deer dropped immediately. When I walked over to her, 20 mins, later, she got up, gasping , then I noticed a HUGE flesh wound , pie plate size. She made it to the woods, and we tracked her for nearly half a mile. Did not find her, but with the amount of blood we found, I thought she wa past the next tree. This experience has damaged my faith in Bergers. It really pains me, because nothing I have ever shot is MORE ACCURATE, then these things, but I only have one DRT since I began using them, and 3 blow ups. Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but just wanted to comment on MY experiences with the VLD's. Maybe in a larger caliber, it may, or probably is a different situation. ( thicker jacket, etc.) just my two cents, thanks again!
Im curious as to what grain of bullet you were shooting out of your 300rum??

I have been shooting 185gr and 190gr Bergers through mine and have experienced entrance holes the size of pie plates but thats not where it stops it takes everything behind that pie plate sized hole and throws it through the BERGER BLENDER and drops it back inside the chest cavity...

My cow elk i shot opening day 300-350yds away. Broadside, shot in the base of the neck..
Couldnt even tie a rope around her head or neck for dragging her out 4 miles because all that was left was some fur attaching it to her body.

My big ol stinky mulie. 400 yds + some change. Chasing a doe up the mountain across from me. Hit him right between the shoulders as he was going away from me. Again pie plate size hole destroying the tops of both the shoulders and blowing everything in its way out through a pop can size hole in his neck.

Second cow elk. 707 yard going up through an opening after getting jumped by some other hunters. One shot one dead elk! Right into the boiler room and destroying her right shoulder, boiler room had been through the BERGER BLENDER! !!

So far i am sold on Berger bullets sence i have switched from the barnes tsx i have never shot twice and never had an animal leave there tracks they were shot in.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

338 lapua loading help-2011-11-24_20-55-08_212.jpg

Here you are, im sorry i dont know what my fingers were doing i said right shoulder was blown out ment left.

Again this is the exit side at 707yds. No exit though.

GO TEAM BERGER!!! lol

Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 PM

Wow! Now thats a hit.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

That was a 190gr berger out of my 300 ultra. I wish i had a picture of the entrance side. It was extreme and everything inside was destroyed! It went in perfect through the lung heart area and the stomach was completely destroyed also and the bullet never touched it. The shock that comes along with these bullets is devastating. As you can see in the picture of the exit side at 707 yds.

I will be sure to post pictures of what the 300 gr bergers do out of the lapua this up coming season!! I can only imagine..