Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338 Edge Pressure Signs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Re: 338 Edge Pressure Signs

The brass is brand new. It will be going along good, under .75 moa, for 4 or 5 shots, and then I will get a flyer. Open the bolt to see a completely flattened primer and a cracked case, whereas, the other 4-5 pieces look great. I guess I will have to back off a grain or so and see what happens. The action was barreled by Hart, so Iím confident they did an excellent job. I'll give them a call to see if they have any advice.

Thanks to all of you for your input.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrkovsky View Post
The brass is brand new. It will be going along good, under .75 moa, for 4 or 5 shots, and then I will get a flyer. Open the bolt to see a completely flattened primer and a cracked case, whereas, the other 4-5 pieces look great. I guess I will have to back off a grain or so and see what happens. The action was barreled by Hart, so Iím confident they did an excellent job. I'll give them a call to see if they have any advice.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

You might be closer to the lands than you think and are getting one that is nearly touching and causing the pressure spike.

I'd find out how much jump I was getting. It may be as simple as seating .005"
deeper to get out of that zone.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

during your reloading, is there any chance your dumping more powder into the odd case that ends up splitting? how are you measuring your powder? i know some of the electronic scales can be out by quite alot between loads despite paying good money for them... i doubt any other reason could casue this besides alot more powder or different type of powder, in the cases that split/sticky bolt and flattened pirmer...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Dear smrkovsky;

I shoot 30in Barell 1-9.4 twis Rock Crick with muzzle brake DE style with
Rem Brass,
CCI 250M primers
300SMK
92gr H1000 (93.5 very hot load)
3.75 OAL
0.07 off the land
2815fps

As AJ sad, you are too close to the land, and some ogives touching the land.
Be aware not all round are the same lenght. Some are shorter other are longer (I think this are the one with cracked cases)
Take 2 empty cases and reload 2 dummy roands:
1 with shorter ogives and one with longer ogive.
take a marker and cover completely the ogive with it.
Insert the dummy case in action and close the bolt.
Extract the bolt and see if you have land marks on the ogive.
If you see the marks on the case with longer ogive you are touching the land my friend.
back off till you barelly see marks on ogive(this is the lenght of your case without touching the land) and from there back off 0.010 and you will be fine.

Last edited by 300rum; 10-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

I see this is somewhat of an old post but if you haven't figured out your problem, I think you have too much headspace. The crack you are seeing is a partial case head seperation. If the chamber is set up correctly then you are pushing the shoulder back when you are resizing your cases. When you do that the cartridge is moved forward by the fireing pin strike. The primer ignites, the pressure builds and the thin/soft front portion of the case grips the chamber wall. As pressure continues to build the primer is pushed back out of the primer pocket, and the rear of the case is slammed back into the bolt face. This streches the case infront of the thicker web and flattens the primer. If the case streches too much it seperates.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwapitihunter View Post
I see this is somewhat of an old post but if you haven't figured out your problem, I think you have too much headspace. The crack you are seeing is a partial case head seperation. If the chamber is set up correctly then you are pushing the shoulder back when you are resizing your cases. When you do that the cartridge is moved forward by the fireing pin strike. The primer ignites, the pressure builds and the thin/soft front portion of the case grips the chamber wall. As pressure continues to build the primer is pushed back out of the primer pocket, and the rear of the case is slammed back into the bolt face. This streches the case infront of the thicker web and flattens the primer. If the case streches too much it seperates.
Thats what I was thinking. Either a chamber is too long or the shoulder is getting bumped too much. I have had this problem before in one of my 300 RUM barrels.

Also as stated before, DO NOT underestimate the value of a chrony. You will not know what the problem is until you know the velocity. It is either the rifle or the load. Possibly both but you wont know until you verify the velocity.

AJ stated that he was runninig 2750 in a 28" barrel and that is within 2 FPS of where I am at. Most 30" barrel users are running 2820-2850. A few are getting a bit more. That gives you an idea of where your velocity should be. Also there have been some hot lots of H1000 out there recently.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

hi, with 338E ,i'am using vitha 24n41 , 94.5grs, with 300grs lapua in archer border barrel,30". no pressure signs , v= 2722fps. very good precision about 1800meters.