Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338 edge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Bronze Member

338 edge

Im having kirby build my first custom. I was deciding on a 338 ultra or edge. So here is the question. Im have only been relodaing for about three years and never a wild cat. So when i get my info i look in a book. So for the edge were do you get the info to start loads at. If i choose this caliber i will be mostly shooting 225 and 250 graind bullets. So any info would be great.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkodiak View Post
Im having kirby build my first custom. I was deciding on a 338 ultra or edge. So here is the question. Im have only been relodaing for about three years and never a wild cat. So when i get my info i look in a book. So for the edge were do you get the info to start loads at. If i choose this caliber i will be mostly shooting 225 and 250 graind bullets. So any info would be great.
defensiveedge.net Has all the load data you could want for the edge.

BigBuck
Old 04-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Gold Member

I had mine built by defensive edge and when i picked it up, he gave me all the load data, specs, and instructions. i am sure kirby would do similar.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

You are refferring to the 338-300 ultramag and there are plenty of people on here shooting that round by whatever name so load data is no problem. I built many of these from the late 90's until about 2001 when the 338 ultramag came out with virtually the same performance in a standard cartridge elimininating the need for the 338-300 ultramag. Both are going to hit best accuracy around 3250-3300 fps with the 225's and 3100-3150 fps with the 250 grain bullets. It is going to vary a bit between individual rifles. Both are easy to load for and very accurate. When you can get everything over the counter for the 338 ultramag to me that is by far the best choice and why me and most others quit fooling with the 338-300 ultramag when the standard one came out I think around 2001 or so. Several gunsmiths called them by various names in the 90's and after the turn of the century but most went away with the 338 ultramag introduction. Edge seems to work on this website. I just always stick to calling a cartridge what it is so there is never any confusion as to what it is.

The 338-300 is still a great round but no better than the 338 ultramag. I actually prefer the standard 338 ultramag because it feeds better through standard magnum actions. The beauty of the 338-300 in the first place back in the 90's was a guy could get a little more performance than the 340 wby on a standard magnum bolt face. For the guys wanting a big time high performance 338 and the money for a custom then the big time cartridges are out there overwhelming the performance of the 338-300 or standard 338 ultramag. But the ultramag is still tops on a standard magnum action and I don't see anything out there better than the ultramags for that purpose. They have a niche filled there and do it well.

If you have a standard magnum donor action and wanting to save money the ultramags are a good choice. If you are doing a custom rifle with custom action you should look at some with performance well beyond the ultramags. Wind estimation is everything in long range shooting and the most unkown variable so all the velocity you can get is critical to iliminate the most of that unknown variable. The high performance 338's are just as accurate as the ultramags so why limit yourself if you are doing a custom anyway.

I have 338-300 ultramags and a 338 ultramag and they are top shooters but they are what they are and no more. Best on a standard mag bolt face. But they can not compete velocity wise with cartridges based off the 378 wby, 416 rigby or improved lapua cases. But for those you have got to spend the money for a wby mk 5 action or a custom action costing more money. Velocity and wind are important. There is quite a bit of difference between the 30-06 and a 300 wby. Just ask anybody who has shot both of those. About the same difference between the ultramags and an improved 338-378 wby. Whole different league. If you are going custom I would consider stepping up so you are not dissapointed if you happen to shoot side by side one day with a guy shooting a big rifle thinking you had the best.

I don't mean to offend anyone on here but I seem to read a lot about the same particular rifles and I want new guys on here to understand a little about the history of all these rifles and what the true performance level is and how they stack up against one another. I have or have had and shot most all of them and have done it for many years. I just want the new young guys on here to understand there are many choices out there and the world doesn't revolve around a couple current popular choices. Talk to a lot of older smiths who have extensive knowledge of big guns and seen many fads come and go. I have no biases and don't care what a guy shoots but I do want a guy to base his decisions with the most information he can gather. I hunt with all calibers based off all the popular cartridges and enjoy all of them because they all have there purpose.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Gold Member

338 ultra,338-300,340 weatherby,338-378,338 Lapua are all great rounds well suited for long range big game hunting. The weatherby 338-378 is a superb round but it is quite abit more spendy to shoot,will burn barrels out faster and I'm not sure if it really is as accurate as the 338-300 or Lapua. My 338-378 was very accurate but not quite as good as my 338-300. Another factor is the muzzle blast is quite abit more dramatic on the 338-378 and this can be a factor for some shooters. They all will get the job done very well ,alot of it is just preference. The Ultra's will definitley be easier on the wallet .
Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

ltlr you need to post some groups from your Hart barreled 338/378 wby and let these folks see how accurate the gun can be in the hands of a very capable reloader and shooter I can remember some serious sub-min groups shot up at your farm and down on the power lines near Jeff's...I would dare say some folks will comment that guns with free bore are inferior in accuracy...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Sniper2, thanks for the kind words. The freebore you and I worked out for the 338-300 ultramag chambering back in the 90's sure worked out great. Yours and all the others down that way all shot like a dream. I never heard anyone complain about the performance of their 338-300 ultras that I know of. I remember one day when we were shooting your 338-300 and another guys at about 650 yards on the range at the farm and it was hard to tell on one of your groups how many shots went through one bullet hole. Had a flier in there maybe on the first clean barrel shot or something but still I thought that was pretty good shootin. Take away the flier and probably about the best group I have seen. If you can shoot their eyes out at 650 yards I figure you got a pretty good gun and a mighty good shooter behind it.