Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338-378 weatherby load data

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: 338-378 weatherby load data

I have to agree on the Bergers, when I first got the 338-378 I tried them but they were the first ones out. I gave them to a buddy that has a 338 Laupa, they work good in it. I myself found that the smk,s work great in both guns, the 338-378 at 3080fps and 3250 in the 338 BigBaer! I have changed to the 252 gr. CE in the 338-378 to get more speed 3180 works great I think to get good preformance out of these calibers you have to get over 3100 The CE,s are pricey, but do a great job! Everything is pricey in this game! HaHa
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

300 grain Berger OTM, 104.0 grains Retumbo, CCI mag rifle, seated to fit in a Weatherby box/action. 2860 out of a 27 inch tube. Be very careful and work up, in hot weather tends to spike a bit.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

I must admit the OTM is one I have not tried. It does have thicker jackets on it but is not intended for hunting. I for this reason will not use it. I do not know if it would open up at longer ranges. The Hunting bullet I have found has severe problems when pushed to the velocity that the 338-378 can achieve. The 300s that I have ran have gone into the 3100 range, You can do this and the case last 3 loads. The bullet and barrel needs to be hex coated as well as my lands are at a 1 degree 30 entrance. You have to shoot these one at a time like a single shot due to the fact the powder is a compressed charge to the point at a 3.8 coal it will distort the bullet upon pressing into the case. Retumbo is good but there are better powders for velocity. Accuracy depends on the rifle but I have found Rl 25 is hard to beat. RL 33 is great and N570 is ok, All HAVE to be ignited by a WN MAG PRIMER. They are hotter than the famed old 215. Your fps will go up as much as 40 fps. RL 25 loads should be worked up for pressure at the temp that you think you will be using them at, it is not extruded, therefore not temp stable. One could keep it close the 98.6 degrees areas on there bodys and eliminate this issue. Can someone reply with facts and actual pictures of the OTM hunting abilities at close and long ranges. I would like pictures due to the internet has made to many people experts overnight. Pictures are fact not internet talk
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
I must admit the OTM is one I have not tried. It does have thicker jackets on it but is not intended for hunting. I for this reason will not use it. I do not know if it would open up at longer ranges. The Hunting bullet I have found has severe problems when pushed to the velocity that the 338-378 can achieve. The 300s that I have ran have gone into the 3100 range, You can do this and the case last 3 loads. The bullet and barrel needs to be hex coated as well as my lands are at a 1 degree 30 entrance. You have to shoot these one at a time like a single shot due to the fact the powder is a compressed charge to the point at a 3.8 coal it will distort the bullet upon pressing into the case. Retumbo is good but there are better powders for velocity. Accuracy depends on the rifle but I have found Rl 25 is hard to beat. RL 33 is great and N570 is ok, All HAVE to be ignited by a WN MAG PRIMER. They are hotter than the famed old 215. Your fps will go up as much as 40 fps. RL 25 loads should be worked up for pressure at the temp that you think you will be using them at, it is not extruded, therefore not temp stable. One could keep it close the 98.6 degrees areas on there bodys and eliminate this issue. Can someone reply with facts and actual pictures of the OTM hunting abilities at close and long ranges. I would like pictures due to the internet has made to many people experts overnight. Pictures are fact not internet talk
3100 is smoking for the caliber, what elevation? I load for a stock Weatherby with 26 inch barrel and custom with a 27 inch tube, never got close to that velocity with H-1000, Retumbo or Reloader. Reloader powders spike big time in heat (I live in the desert). Not fond of single loading cartridges in a hunting rifle, on the bench sure, carrying in the Feild no thanks. Best accuracy/least extreme has been with CCI. Have used Winchesters on older cases for practice on occasion as they seat tighter, work fine, have not chronoed any increase in velocity. I'm getting 8 loads out of brass. Started with the Elite Hunters now they are hard to come by. Will see how the OTMs work on Elk, Mulies and Nilgi this fall.

Longtimelongranger has done a ton of work with the caliber using the now unavailable 870, learned a lot from his posts/messages.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

3100 fps is achievable with a 3 groove r rifling barrel with hex coat on the bullet and barrel. It works better with nitride coating the barrel and hex coat the bullets with the 27 in tube. Again the shells have to be kept in the area that keeps them 98.6 degrees. Free bore has a lot to do with this also. One better have a trued bolt and tight neck. as well as the action be perfectly aligned with the bore of the tube. Only expect 2 to 3 loading out of these loads before the primer pockets go south. Norma brass is EXPENSIVE! 4500 feet in elevation.