Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

338 300gr. Nosler CC ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

338 300gr. Nosler CC ?

Hey fellas , I was browsing Midway this morning and I see that they catalog a .338 300 gr custom competition bullet with a BC of .800 it may be and option for me seing how other bullets are hard to come buy. It is not in stock yet but estimated for late july. Has any body else have any insight on this bullet.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

Re: 338 300gr. Nosler CC ?

I have 500 on order. Intent is to try them on both elk and mule deer this comming hunting season for comparison to the SMK. Anticipated delivery date is July.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
I have 500 on order. Intent is to try them on both elk and mule deer this comming hunting season for comparison to the SMK. Anticipated delivery date is July.
through Midway?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

No, from the factory. The bullets will be used for practice in preparation for competition. However, big game hunting also utilizes skills required for competing.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

I have been having great success with my recently built 338 rum using 300 gr berger elite hunter at 1k plus. Since i was not sure what the rifle would like I only purchaced 100 of them and now I am out and can't seem to get any and I was hoping to have my hunting loads in assembly for this coming season and now it seems I may have to try another bullet . With the summer heat approaching I hate to think about developing a new load and varifying trajectory in the heat, Do I hold out hoping the bergers re appear and hope they perform as the ones that were from an early run( Have herd dome scary reports), only it is just before elk season before they arrive and I realize accuracy is skewd ,or sellect another 300 gr slug like the cc I have 50 hornady 285 grain hpbt , do you have any exp with this bullet on target or game?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
I have been having great success with my recently built 338 rum using 300 gr berger elite hunter at 1k plus. Since i was not sure what the rifle would like I only purchaced 100 of them and now I am out and can't seem to get any and I was hoping to have my hunting loads in assembly for this coming season and now it seems I may have to try another bullet . With the summer heat approaching I hate to think about developing a new load and varifying trajectory in the heat, Do I hold out hoping the bergers re appear and hope they perform as the ones that were from an early run( Have herd dome scary reports), only it is just before elk season before they arrive and I realize accuracy is skewd ,or sellect another 300 gr slug like the cc I have 50 hornady 285 grain hpbt , do you have any exp with this bullet on target or game?

Why not just order some of the Berger 300 Gr OTM bullets. That is what I use in my 338 Lapua and it has shot 1/2 MOA out to 1k so far. There have been a few people on here that have taken quite a few animals with them to include elk and deer. You can order the bullets from Brunos Shooting Supply. They are pretty much the same bullet but have a thicker jacket.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Gold Member

There is much truth to the old saying, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" Be cautious with changing a load producing proven results and confidence. The time it takes to develop a new load may be the same time for bullets to hit the market. Fingers crossed. As stated, there are OTMs available now with only a jacket thickness difference to the ones you currently use. I used the OTMs last year assisting hunters on three elk and three deer with an average distance over 800 yards. No problem putting the animals down. My .02 says stay with the Berger 300, either one.