Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

308 Neck Sizing Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 PM

308 Neck Sizing Issues

I decided to try neck sizing in 308... having some issues.

Rifle is a Savage 10FP in 308.
175gr SMK, 44.1gr Varget, 2.800" OAL, Lapua brass. I purchased the brass new, FL sized it, fired it once and am now neck sizing it. All the brass is within trim length specs.

I am using Redding FL and neck sizing dies. When I put the neck sizing die down all the way + a little to have the press cam over the sizing of the neck stops a little bit short of the beginning of the shoulder, from what I am reading is fine.

I can take the resized brass and chamber it in my rifle with a little bit of resistance which is I'm understanding is expected when not FL sizing. All my brass will fit the chamber fine.

When I load the round, not crimping and go to chamber it, one of two things happen... either the round stops and I can't close the bolt, or I close the bolt with resistance and then it takes some force to open it again. On the rounds I can close, I see that the bolt face is polish the case head as it is being turned.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? This happens regardless of case OAL.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 308 Neck Sizing Issues

You're leaving no, or negative head space.
The partial neck sizing is not an issue, but shoulders still need bumping.
You can use a Redding body die just for bumping, instead of FL sizing.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM

I dont if it makes any difference in dies, ive allways used leedies with good results, in my 220 swift, 308, 8mm. had similar problem with not pressing the shoulder, slight adjustment on die depth resovled the issue.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

mikeg1005,

You're not having issues, you're just experiencing Neck Sizing. Use the F/L dies, and you can avoid all this. Cases fired in one rifle should chamber in that same rifle after being neck sized (for a time, anyway) but that's not always what we get. You do, occasionally, get this sort of interference, stiff bolt closure, sticky extraction, and so on.

Neck sizing offers absolutely no increase in accuracy, and full length sizing (if done correctly) is no harder on the brass. The F/L sizing will also allow you avoid a wide variety of headaches that N/S invariably causes at some point.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on Kevin's comments. Toss your NS dies and learn what hbeadspacing is all about as well.

BTW Kevin, I'd like to see a bit better packaging on bulk Lapua brass. The blue tub is nice as is the neat Lapua decal but I had to run every piece because the necks were beat up.

For 70 bucks for a hundred 6.5x55's, I expected better packaging and I didn't get it.....

Even Norma-Nosler packs their bulk brass in correctly sized cartons, vertically, not thrown in a container, willy-nilly.

You guys can do better that that can't you????
Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Sidecar, shoot me a PM if you need to. Sounds like you got an old box, but I think we've got it taken care of now in the newer ones.

KT
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

just for the heck of it, try a few pc's winchester brass. I find it works better for me.