Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

308 LC 12 brass - primed: OK it is UGLY - BUYER beware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 308 LC 12 brass - primed: OK it is UGLY - BUYER beware

Got through de-tarring the LR brass this evening, another tumble to clean it up 100%. Decided to try the "anneal in a baking tin" trick this evening. Tedious but better than nothing I suppose... First time for me. Ran all of the non LR brass through the full length sizing die after annealing and didn't have anything split or make any funny noises on me. The base of the cartridges was slightly oversize according to my Hornady die, so that was where the most effort was needed. This brass might have chambered a bit tight in a bolt gun for that feature.

Tomorrow I will anneal the LR brass and repeat the FL sizing process on that batch. If it all works out, hopefully I am only out about 20-30 pieces of brass.

Perhaps this is not going to be as big a disaster as I thought, but time will tell. It could be that a very particular batch of brass was defective within the 2012 calender year, but the headstamp is not detailed enough to tell it apart. Presumably the original packaging had the batch number on it.

Anyway, I did get some Lapua Palma brass on order which shipped today from Midway, and it is my first Lapua brass ever, so my expectations are high.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

The stainless tumbling media will not remove the tar?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Got through de-tarring the LR brass this evening, another tumble to clean it up 100%. Decided to try the "anneal in a baking tin" trick this evening. Tedious but better than nothing I suppose... First time for me. Ran all of the non LR brass through the full length sizing die after annealing and didn't have anything split or make any funny noises on me. The base of the cartridges was slightly oversize according to my Hornady die, so that was where the most effort was needed. This brass might have chambered a bit tight in a bolt gun for that feature.

Tomorrow I will anneal the LR brass and repeat the FL sizing process on that batch. If it all works out, hopefully I am only out about 20-30 pieces of brass.

Perhaps this is not going to be as big a disaster as I thought, but time will tell. It could be that a very particular batch of brass was defective within the 2012 calender year, but the headstamp is not detailed enough to tell it apart. Presumably the original packaging had the batch number on it.

Anyway, I did get some Lapua Palma brass on order which shipped today from Midway, and it is my first Lapua brass ever, so my expectations are high.
IMO, you are playing 'devils advocate' by annealing via pie pan/water method, but then, I won't be in town until Monday, business calls, My posts will be via laptop and Bluetooth.

I'm having issues with the F/L resize, I stuck one in my comp die, no biggie here, I arbor pressed it out. Not every case, in the hundred I ran, I had 10 that didn't feel right. The first one I pushed and stuck (ripped off the base). After that, I just set them aside and went back and Neck Sized them and then F/L resized. I can tell by the 'feel' if it's gonna be a bummer and I should not have pushed it. The cases I have, LC13, are all over the place as far as sizing resistance and COAL after resizing. Some are trimming just a tad, some are trimming a lot. I'm setting them all to 2.005 right on the bean.

I have a Redding micrometer trimmer that I modified to a power drive. It's a good one for holding case lengths.

I went through them all this evening and no neck splits whatsoever.... other than the one I ripped the base off, I have no culls. No saw brass, not even a dented case mouth and unlike yours, the anneal is very visible. Was a good buy for range brass.

I really like Lapua anything. Expensive and worth it. I order all my preloaded rounds from HSM/IQ and specify Lapua brass on everything.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
Maybe STM and Stoddard solvent but STM, water and dish soap, no way.

STM may be good, but it's not that good, without some help, but then I use stainless micro balls and they work in bowl tumblers too.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

The media actually gets stuck in the tar and then you need to use the solvent to dissolve it and free the media that it trapped... Ideally one would soak them in solvent to get rid of the tar first, perhaps use a nylon bore brush to scrub it out.

Detergent does not make much of an impression on tar. Having tar balls in your stainless media is not good for much either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Long night last night. Annealed the entire LR batch (about 300 shells) in the baking tray method, then FL sized them, then collet neck sized them (I believe one only gets a straight cylindrical neck this way), then another tumble to remove the lube and the bit of oxide on the neck.

So at this point I'm just waiting on a primer pocket swager, and a delivery from Grafs of the 175gr match bullets I ordered. I don't know who made these bullets, but they have a decent weight and BC and were very modestly priced. Drat, I still have to length trim all of those cases....

I am trying to figure out if I need CCI 450 primers for the Lapua Palma brass which came in today. I intend to be shooting 185gr Bergers from those. I have CCI 400 primers, so maybe that is where I will have to start...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Long night last night. Annealed the entire LR batch (about 300 shells) in the baking tray method, then FL sized them, then collet neck sized them (I believe one only gets a straight cylindrical neck this way), then another tumble to remove the lube and the bit of oxide on the neck.

Neck concentricity in relationship to the case body is entirely the function of how cenerted the expander ball is in the die and if the die has a locating bushing which is why bushing dies are the preferred choice for high accuracy ammunition and/or quality dies. In this case I use RCBS Competition bushing dies and tha appropriate neck bushing of course.

When I set expander ball height in any die, a indicate the position of the expander ball and stem in relationship the wall of the die and set the stem/ball centered in the die bore.

So at this point I'm just waiting on a primer pocket swager, and a delivery from Grafs of the 175gr match bullets I ordered. I don't know who made these bullets, but they have a decent weight and BC and were very modestly priced. Drat, I still have to length trim all of those cases....

Primer pocket swager?? I use a High speed 60 degree chatterless countersink and just cut the lip out and no more. Takes a second. Check the flash holes andream the pockets too.

I am trying to figure out if I need CCI 450 primers for the Lapua Palma brass which came in today. I intend to be shooting 185gr Bergers from those. I have CCI 400 primers, so maybe that is where I will have to start...
According to both the Sierra, the Hornady and Berger reloading manuals, all recommend Federal 210 or 210M primers and Sierra recommends a 1.5 grain reduction in load for mil brass.

By collet die, I presume you refer to Lee. You won't find any Lee dies on my shelf except for straight wall cases.

Glad I don't pie pan anneal. Be apprised, those little holes in your receiver let the flame out when things get stupid without blowing back in your face.....