Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.308 - Lapua or Winchester Brass? Factory FGMM or Handloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: .308 - Lapua or Winchester Brass? Factory FGMM or Handloads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPK View Post
Could you load the amax to 2.965" and do well?
If you could live with a compressed load, sure. At 2.975" they are just starting to crunch powder.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
If you could live with a compressed load, sure. At 2.975" they are just starting to crunch powder.

M
Think I would be better off just using 190 Bergers or SMK's? I haven't even taken my stuff to the gunsmith yet, but will in the next few months. Want to really figure out how I want it throated, etc. Been reading great things on these heavies compared to the 175's...

Oh and I think my mags are right at 2.88" ID. That would fit 190's just right correct?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Think I would be better off just using 190 Bergers or SMK's? I haven't even taken my stuff to the gunsmith yet, but will in the next few months. Want to really figure out how I want it throated, etc. Been reading great things on these heavies compared to the 175's...

Oh and I think my mags are right at 2.88" ID. That would fit 190's just right correct?
With a 2.880 you should be able to run a given load at 2.850 without any trouble. The 190's will work just fine with that.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Ive used winchester, remington and lapua 308 brass. Granted I have a tight chamber 308 but I have over 30 reloads on the lapua and counting...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
With a 2.880 you should be able to run a given load at 2.850 without any trouble. The 190's will work just fine with that.

Would you recommend that with my application? I'd like the heavier higher bc's, but don't know much about compressed loads, etc.

Is there a problem with compressing the load other than not getting velocity, etc? Over pressure?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Would you recommend that with my application? I'd like the heavier higher bc's, but don't know much about compressed loads, etc.

Is there a problem with compressing the load other than not getting velocity, etc? Over pressure?
A modest compression isnt a problem. Can it change the burn rate a bit? I think so so just dont over do it. The biggest problem is if you compress it too much you can get really inconsistent OACL since the powder is pushing back on the bullet. With a modest compressed load it isnt a big problem.

You may end up using a load like that as a single shot. Or you could use a different magazine.

M
Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

I paid $65 at Aurther Brown for Lapua 308 brass...much better than $80. Also, it's been very consistent in my measuring weighing process for reloading...much more consistent than Federal or Win brass I have in stock...maybe I should do some statistics...

Can't go wrong with either though...but have to sort the Fed/Win brass a little more. I like both, but I Love the Lapua brass.

I have only one firing on my current stash of Lapua, but it sounds from others that I will have to work less and get more firings out of the Lapua than Win/Fed brass...that in itself is something I like. I can check things periodically and not worry so much. Sometimes that's worth the upfront costs...in my case it is...others probably not.

Matt