Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.308 FL sizing die question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

.308 FL sizing die question.

I need a FL sizing did for a .308 win project. I have a rcbs die currently, and it's not working out.
I'm running Winchester brass. The problem is I turned the case necks slightly. Only enough to get about 85% to shine. Now my sizing die wont reduce the neck enough to provide tension on a seated bullet. I can push them in by hand.
To save me from experimenting with different dies, what would be my best choice?

Thanks.
Joe
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: .308 FL sizing die question.

lee collet neck die
Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfighter View Post
I need a FL sizing did for a .308 win project. I have a rcbs die currently, and it's not working out.
I'm running Winchester brass. The problem is I turned the case necks slightly. Only enough to get about 85% to shine. Now my sizing die wont reduce the neck enough to provide tension on a seated bullet. I can push them in by hand.
To save me from experimenting with different dies, what would be my best choice?

Thanks.
Joe
You Can look at the Redding Bushing dies. (You can get different bushings and size them to your needs).

And if you change brands of brass all you have to do is change the bushing.

I have not tried the lee collet dies, so I don't know anything about them, But they must work.

J E CUSTON
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Take the decapping/expander ball out and size them again in the die. This will give enough grip on the bullet.

Had similar problems with Lapua cases which I bought second hand. The neck walls were only 0.009" and when you size them with the expander ball in die die, they would not have any grip on the bullet. However, when I took the expander ball out, the had sufficient grip to hold the bullet.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

I use bushing dies from Whidden Gunworks, best 308 dies on the market.

Randy
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

l'd be VERY surprized if your RCBS sizer, or any other sizer, isn't reducing the necks sufficenty due to your minor truning, It would NOT surprise me if your expander is a thou or so over size. Mic the expander ball; it should be bullet diameter or a thou less, but not a bit larger than the bullets.

If it's too big, chuck the stem in an electric drill, spin it and use a bit of medium/fine grit (220 or 320) black carborundum paper to work it down to the right size. Don't sweat trying to make it glass slick, that really won't matter.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

+1 Boomtube