Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

308 bullet, in 300 win mag Does this look right?? PICS Take a look please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 PM

308 bullet, in 300 win mag Does this look right?? PICS Take a look please

Ok so I got these 150 grain 308 bullets and they seem to not sit very deep in the case, question is do they need to sit all the way in to the rib like factory or are they good just as the pic shows, the top bullets are factory, the bottom one is the reload, then the actual bullets are right there so you can see the distance in the case and what not. Length is fine over all, but what about the bullet being seated to that point. Seems like these would fit a 30-30 way better, or is this normal?? Please let me know. DIDYSIS

Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: 308 bullet, in 300 win mag Does this look right?? PICS Take a look please

They look fine to me. I have loaded ammo for a 264Win Mag that had a really long throat with bullets seated shallower than those in your pic without issue. As long as the bullets have enough tension in the brass so they don't move at all, and they chamber easily in your rifle you are good to go.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

No it doesn't look right. It looks like a 150 gr. flat nose bullet for a .30-.30. I don't know for sure but that's what I'm thinking that it is.

I can't say that it won't shoot in your rifle but I can say that I wouldn't use them in anything but a .30-30 if that's what they are. Especially not a .300 Win Mag.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6158 View Post
No it doesn't look right. It looks like a 150 gr. flat nose bullet for a .30-.30. I don't know for sure but that's what I'm thinking that it is.

I can't say that it won't shoot in your rifle but I can say that I wouldn't use them in anything but a .30-30 if that's what they are. Especially not a .300 Win Mag.
I'm with mike6158. I wouldn't take the chance .....

Bigbuck
Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDYSIS View Post
Ok so I got these 150 grain 308 bullets and they seem to not sit very deep in the case, question is do they need to sit all the way in to the rib like factory or are they good just as the pic shows, the top bullets are factory, the bottom one is the reload, then the actual bullets are right there so you can see the distance in the case and what not. Length is fine over all, but what about the bullet being seated to that point. Seems like these would fit a 30-30 way better, or is this normal?? Please let me know. DIDYSIS

The shape of the bullet determines where the cannelure is placed on the bullet because the
ogive of the round nose or larger nose is larger and would place the ogive in to close to the
lands.

It is recomended that if you buy/use bullets with a cannelure that you crimp the case in the
cannelure. (You don't have to crimp but the location should be the same).

There is nothing wrong with using these bullets as long as you seat them to the cannelure.

These bullets are round nose and were not designed for tubular magazines just for short magazines and hard kicking rifles.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
These bullets are round nose and were not designed for tubular magazines just for short magazines and hard kicking rifles.
Don't take this as argumentative or confrontational... but aside from the boat-tail, which tells me it's not the same bullet as the one in the image below, the bullets he's asking about don't look like round nosed bullets to me. Granted the ogive radius is different than what I've shown below but the bullet still looks flat-nosed to me. Could be that I'm "confusing" soft point with flat nosed... If I'm wrong that's cool with me. I would just like to make this a learning experience and know why I'm wrong.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6158 View Post
Don't take this as argumentative or confrontational... but aside from the boat-tail, which tells me it's not the same bullet as the one in the image below, the bullets he's asking about don't look like round nosed bullets to me. Granted the ogive radius is different than what I've shown below but the bullet still looks flat-nosed to me. Could be that I'm "confusing" soft point with flat nosed... If I'm wrong that's cool with me. I would just like to make this a learning experience and know why I'm wrong.

No problem.

The first bullet shown is a spitzer,the second is a spitzer also but the third is Called a semi
spitzer soft point, the forth and fifth are soft point boat tails.

The bullet you posted is definitely a flat nose and for a tubular magazine.

you are right about the round nose. the true round nose bullet normally has a larger nose
on it and must be seated deeper than the semi spitzer.

The main thing is that they should be seated to the cannelure ,but not necessarily crimped
unless they are in a tubular mag.

Sorry I was half asleep.

J E CUSTOM