Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

308 brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Bronze Member

308 brass

i was thinking about buying a neck turning tool for my 308 brass. what are the advantages or disadvantages to this ?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: 308 brass

pro; better loads
con: time consuming, but only need to do it once.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Bronze Member

which tool do you suggest?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

I use the k&m tool with carbide pilot and power adaptor
Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick021 View Post
i was thinking about buying a neck turning tool for my 308 brass. what are the advantages or disadvantages to this ?
Patrick021, why do you think you need to neck turn? The reason I ask, is some folks have turned necks before, then had problems with seating bullets due to lack of " grip". Now, if you have a custom chamber, or a tight necked chamber, that is a different story. In those instances, you almost HAVE to neck turn. There are some very nice neck turning tools avail. Sinclair has some very affordable tools for this. Just be sure your needs warrant it!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

I am getting good groups with my rifle usually had a flyer out of 3 shot groups i thought it was me but i checked the run out on my bullets and some were about 4 thous out. I was thinking that this might help me with my groups.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick021 View Post
I am getting good groups with my rifle usually had a flyer out of 3 shot groups i thought it was me but i checked the run out on my bullets and some were about 4 thous out. I was thinking that this might help me with my groups.
Runout is not neccsarily caused by necks that need to be cut, rather then it could be in your resizing operation. Sometimes, when FL resizing, when you pull the expander back through the neck, it distorts it somewhat, and seats the bullet off center. That is by far the most common problem. Yeah, .004 is considerable runout. Are you using lube on the inside of your necks when you resize? This will help. Also, try to set you decapper dead center of the die and lock it up in that position. These are only a few things that pop up at me when someone speaks of runout. There are of course a lot of other " possibles" , but those are the most common culprits.