Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300wm loaders help me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300wm loaders help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulerider View Post
Shane1,
I had the same problem with reloads that I felt was at a starting load, changed bullets, powder, did my case work and problem was still there.

So I took rifle to my smith and he polished the chamber for $40.00, problem solved, shoots great now.

I'm hoping this will solve my problem as well, deffinatly the cheapest route.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

I have a recently purchased Rem 700 Milspec in 300WM. Loaded with 76.5 Gr H1000 or 79 Retumbo with 210VLDs, Norma brass I get 4-5 reloads with neck sizing only. No issues at all. Sounds like it might be an out of spec chamber. Might try some different brass to be certain its not your brass. In any case, the basic rifle design should work. I'd send it back to Remington and have it checked/fixed.IMO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

The last M16 extractor I had installed was done by "Grit" on this site. He is a sponsor and his business name is "Deadly Precision" He is located in Id. I know he is much busier these days, but he did mine with a minimal turn time.

That said I would attack your problem in this order.

1: Get the sizing and shoulder bump to where I would want it for every round I hand loaded, with precise shoulder set back.

2: Polish chamber

3: Install a fool proof extractor like a M16 style so I had some serious pull on the case if needed.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

A friend had a 300 winmag 5R that the same issues. He called up Remington warranty and told them what it was doing. They did not argue one bit with him and sent him a RMA number to send it in to get fixed. No questioned asked.

Browming X-Bolt .30-06
Nikon Monarch SF 4-16

Weatherby Mark V 30-378
Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomt View Post
A friend had a 300 winmag 5R that the same issues. He called up Remington warranty and told them what it was doing. They did not argue one bit with him and sent him a RMA number to send it in to get fixed. No questioned asked.

I would love to send it to them except I replaced the trigger with a timney and threaded the barrel for suppressor, don't think they will be to impressed. I talked to them, they told me from my description that it was within spec, built to shoot factory ammo which it does fine.Said they would check it and if found out of spec whatever they consider that in the chamber they would take care of it as long as the rifle has not been modified. I also have it in a Mcree chassis and sold the hs stock it came with.. Pretty sure it qualifies as modified. I would be scared to see what they sent me back.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The last M16 extractor I had installed was done by "Grit" on this site. He is a sponsor and his business name is "Deadly Precision" He is located in Id. I know he is much busier these days, but he did mine with a minimal turn time.

That said I would attack your problem in this order.

1: Get the sizing and shoulder bump to where I would want it for every round I hand loaded, with precise shoulder set back.

2: Polish chamber

3: Install a fool proof extractor like a M16 style so I had some serious pull on the case if needed.

Jeff

I'm going to do some sizing and give her a polishing tonite. One recommended cutting a case, drill and tap it and using it to polish chamber. How would you do it?

Soon as I can part with the bolt for a couple weeks it will get the m16 extractor or a new ptg bolt.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
I'm going to do some sizing and give her a polishing tonite. One recommended cutting a case, drill and tap it and using it to polish chamber. How would you do it?

Soon as I can part with the bolt for a couple weeks it will get the m16 extractor or a new ptg bolt.
The new bolt would require the lugs to be lapped in and head space set on the barrel. That would not be what I would do at this time. If you were rebarreling or a set back then yes.

The case and fine compound will work. Or I have used a tight fitting bore mop, some compound and added a wrap with some thin cloth as needed too. I used JB paste for compound. I powered it with a cordless drill and a section of old 22 cleaning rod that screwed together. Crude for sure. Take great care to not get into the throat area and do two very thorough cleanings after including the bore. I was having extraction issues with a rusty chamber on a old family rifle. It worked great.

Jeff