Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300wm loaders help me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

300wm loaders help me

First thanks for taking the time to help me' . I'm shooting a rem 700 5r 300wm. Nosler or Winchester brass, h1000, fed 215. I have no pressure signs in the head area, primers are not flat, no marks, I trim the brass to minimum. Extraction is smooth. Problem is I can't rechamber a fired case or it will stick in the chamber. 80% of the time, that puts neck sizing out. I try to just bump the shoulder a couple thousandths to head space on shoulder but the cases that won't rechamber after firing have to be fl sized with a heavy cam over just to get them to chamber at all. I want the brass to last as long as possible. Is there something I should be measuring that may have nothing to do with shoulder area. The area above the belt is .311 to .312 I don't know what reamer specs allow in that area. Gun has less then 100 rounds, I can't see any carbon build up in the neck/throat area with bore scope. It would be much easier to minimally fl size instead of the Max I have to. Could diff hard ness of brass cause this? Or maybe my fl die or shell holder? When I have to do the hard can over fl size measuring from head to datum line is diff from case to case by a couple thousandths which is why I was wondering about brass hardness. Or it could not even be needed if the shoulder is not where the case prob is.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300wm loaders help me

Could be a chamber that needs polished. Any signs of things that could be holding the brass?

Jeff
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

If you can easily extract, re-chamber and again extract a fired case but not a resized one your problem is a lack of sufficent sizing, not the chamber. If you can easily extract a fired case but not rechamber and extract it again your chamber's likely out of round or has a bulged side; both are VERY rare!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I'll look at the brass close and report back. I can extract but not rechamber, if I do the case stays and will not extract again. I have to tap it out with cleaning rod.not every time but more then half. If the chamber was out of round would the brass be out of round ? Could I measure that by spinning the case and take measurements in multiple places? If there is a bur in the chamber how does one polish that out? Thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

The brass looks fine. I will paint a whole case with a sharpie and see where it is hitting and let ya'll know.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
The brass looks fine. I will paint a whole case with a sharpie and see where it is hitting and let ya'll know.
Good Idea, also know it is not rare to have problems with the factory ejector claw of a 700. Or do they tap out pretty hard?

Jeff
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

I have found that if I use an Innovative collet die on the cases they will usually fit without full length resizing. The collet die sizes the case right in front of the belt.