close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

300RUM 185 Hybrids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 218
300RUM 185 Hybrids

I'm finally getting around to shooting a RUM I picked up in the classifieds here last spring. 185 grain Berger Hybrids should be on my porch tomorrow.

I have all the powders available...7828, RL22, H1000 and Retumbo.

I found some starting loads on the net for my 300WM, but not much for the 300RUM. Looking for some favorites with starting and max. I'll work up.

BTW: Thinking about starting at 78 grains with H1000 with the 300WM. Any suggestions for RL22?

Thanks-

Wade
__________________
QDMA Member
7STW Club
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Location: Tucson Az
    Posts: 2,023
    Re: 300RUM 185 Hybrids

    Use Hogdon's 190 data and work up. Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

    Maybe Bob Beck will give you some data. If you watched the videos found on this site you will see he is using the 185 VLDs. Hybrids will most likely use very similar loads.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Falls Church, VA
    Posts: 3,474
    Re: 300RUM 185 Hybrids

    I shoot 208grain Amax's in my 300rum with 91grains of Retumbo. Since you are planning to shoot a lighter bullet, you should be able to go with more powder. You may also have better velocities with H1000.

    I have found reliable load data here:

    308_15
    __________________
    I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-20-2012, 06:35 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 218
    Re: 300RUM 185 Hybrids

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trebark View Post
    I shoot 208grain Amax's in my 300rum with 91grains of Retumbo. Since you are planning to shoot a lighter bullet, you should be able to go with more powder. You may also have better velocities with H1000.

    I have found reliable load data here:

    308_15
    I'm sitting on four boxes of 208 Amax as well, but would like to start off with the Hybrids. I looked at the Hodgen site prior to the post and guess I'll their listings for starting. I had hope for specific loads for the RUM.

    Thanks
    __________________
    QDMA Member
    7STW Club
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Falls Church, VA
    Posts: 3,474
    Re: 300RUM 185 Hybrids

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wadevb1 View Post
    I'm sitting on four boxes of 208 Amax as well, but would like to start off with the Hybrids. I looked at the Hodgen site prior to the post and guess I'll their listings for starting. I had hope for specific loads for the RUM.

    Thanks
    Even if you got a specific load, you would still have to work your way up to it. Given that you want to shoot the 185grainers, find a median load and work your way up until you find a pressure point. Don't worry about what anybody else loads and that is fairly irrelevant to your rifle.
    __________________
    I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 218
    Re: 300RUM 185 Hybrids

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trebark View Post
    Even if you got a specific load, you would still have to work your way up to it. Given that you want to shoot the 185grainers, find a median load and work your way up until you find a pressure point. Don't worry about what anybody else loads and that is fairly irrelevant to your rifle.
    That is correct. I mentioned that in post #1.

    I posted my question to find a medium load.

    Thanks for the advice, but I'm beyond the basics.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
    300RUM 185 Hybrids-wm.jpg  
    __________________
    QDMA Member
    7STW Club

    Last edited by wadevb1; 09-20-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Posts: 547
    Re: 300RUM 185 Hybrids

    I just started load development on my 300 RUM as well. I ended up with 91 grains H1000 and the 215 Berger Hybrid. I found the Hybrid real easy to get to shoot. I started 130 thou off the lands and moved all the way to 8 thou off and every load was at 1" or less. settled on 13 thou off at 2988 fps with a 6 fps ES and under .5" at a 100 yds. Using FED 215 Match primers. Factory Sendero Barrel.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 300RUM 185 Hybrids
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    300WM velocity with new hybrids. Minesweeper Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 06-04-2012 10:05 AM
    6XC and 105 Hybrids shooter65 Reloading 1 01-17-2012 12:39 PM
    FS 300 grain Hybrids alf Reloading Equipment and Components 2 11-17-2011 05:59 PM
    338 Berger Hybrids canderson Reloading Equipment and Components 3 06-27-2010 07:35 PM
    7mm Berger hybrids Jumpalot Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 06-24-2010 08:07 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC