Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 wsm help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

I was told by Overbore to use the lightest primer that will give good ignition in the 300WSM. He shoots more 300WSM in a month than most of us will shoot in a year.

He recommended the CCI BR-2 as his go to primer for the 300WSM.

Good Luck,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Bronze Member

eddybo,
I was wondering if you had charge weights and velocities that you have been getting using VV N560 and the 168 gr bullets. I have had great luck with the VV powders in other rounds but the resources for loads out there are pretty scarce. Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
My 300WSM (savage 26") shoots lights out with 60gr Varget and a CCI BR-2 primer in norma brass with the 165gr Hornady spbt. But when it gets cold, the Varget gets tough to ignite. I'm working on loads with H4350 and 200gr and 180gr Nosler Accubond.

AJ
I hope you're not trying to make those 180 or 200 grain Accubonds fit into a magazine with H4350! If you are, they must not be loaded to max speeds because you can't get much powder in that case with those long bullets.

I have found Varget, Imr 4007ssc, and N140 give near 100% load density with these bullets loaded to fit the magazine and you don't lose any velocity.

I also tinkered with the 180 AB bullet and IMR4831 and Nosler recommended amounts and found that the powder was preventing the bullets from being seated where the die was trying to seat to by .020"!! And after one hour of sitting atop that powder charge, the bullet was pushed out an additional .010"!! And it wasn't just Nosler, all the data I found recommended amounts of powder simply not attainable if the gun's magazine was to be used. FWIW.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
I hope you're not trying to make those 180 or 200 grain Accubonds fit into a magazine with H4350! If you are, they must not be loaded to max speeds because you can't get much powder in that case with those long bullets.

I have found Varget, Imr 4007ssc, and N140 give near 100% load density with these bullets loaded to fit the magazine and you don't lose any velocity.

I also tinkered with the 180 AB bullet and IMR4831 and Nosler recommended amounts and found that the powder was preventing the bullets from being seated where the die was trying to seat to by .020"!! And after one hour of sitting atop that powder charge, the bullet was pushed out an additional .010"!! And it wasn't just Nosler, all the data I found recommended amounts of powder simply not attainable if the gun's magazine was to be used. FWIW.
Frankly, I don't worry about the magazine. I load for the barrel and if they fit in the magazine, great. And you are right, I can't put max loads (according to some books) in the 300WSM, it just won't fit unless it is throated longer.

Thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

I would have to go out to the shop and convert my load from powder measure clicks to grains, so I just ran it in quickload. I am thinking I am about 3 grains off quickloads predicted max of 74.5 grains with a predicted velocity around 3250. This is for a 26 inch barrel and coal of 2.860. I would start well below the predicted max and work up.
I am pretty sure that vihtavouri has load date on thier web page, as I worked up my load before I bought quickload. ....okay I looked and am sure they have it Try the link below.

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs...-Data-2006.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderDog View Post
eddybo,
I was wondering if you had charge weights and velocities that you have been getting using VV N560 and the 168 gr bullets. I have had great luck with the VV powders in other rounds but the resources for loads out there are pretty scarce. Thanks