Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 win mag load to hot for some brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Bronze Member

300 win mag load to hot for some brass

I have a load for a 300 win mag 76.5 h1000 and a 210 vlds i have shot this load for years in remington brass and have never had any problems. Due to this darn shortage I picked up some norma and nosler brass. I have only loaded the nosler brass and this load is way to hot trys to pop primers bolt opens but brass sticks to the point i need to tap it out with a rod. Has anyone else had this trouble? Will the norma brass be the same way?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 win mag load to hot for some brass

I've had that happen with my 7STW, but that's just b/c the brass was shot so many times it had expanded too much and wasn't retracting as much as it used to. So I had to scrap some of that brass and buy some new ones. I'm going to the range tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that worked out.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Berger says 75.5 of H1000 is the max. Could one more grain be causing the problem?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

If he seats his bullets to SAAMI specs, he can try seating them closer to the rifling, and that will help to eliminate some of the case pressure, by seating them out farther, and might help prevent his issues. It's worth a shot.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Bronze Member

one more grain could be ive shot hundreds of them with zero problems in that gun. ill try backing it off some. should aso mention there moly coated.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat trapper View Post
one more grain could be ive shot hundreds of them with zero problems in that gun. ill try backing it off some. should aso mention there moly coated.
Yes, and you should have backed off some any way since you are using a different brand of brass. That should be standard procedure when changing brass. JMO

Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot Norma brass exclusively in my 300WM with 210 Hunting Bergers. I load 76.5 gr of H1000 with no pressure signs. I get 10+ reloads out of them. I've been as high as 77gr with no pressure signs I seat them .010" off the lands in my Rem Milspec.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt