Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 WIn Mag confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 WIn Mag confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by T F View Post
75.4 grains of RL22 behind a 180 grain Nosler E-Tip is a hot load to start with 77g is max with RL22 just thought I would let you know

I guess our terms are what makes some of us seem to disagree. If max book load was 77 and minimum was say, 73, I would generally consider 75.4 beyond a starting point but there is no reason it should be unsafe if all is right with the gun. I would have called it warm, as in "getting toward hot but not yet there". I have not loaded E-tips but I figured around 76-76.5 would be the max considering it is not a lead core bullet. Generally "pretty loose" chambers will have a higher maximum load that the tighter end of the saami spectrum. My understanding is that this is caused by case expansion at the beginning of the burn giving a very slightly larger case volume for the remaining powder to burn. Like fire forming am Ackley case. Tighter chambers (yet within Saami specs) can at times achieve the same or greater velocity and sometimes more pressure with less powder than in one that is toward the loose end. My point with the case length was that with a maximum of 2.620 the chamber will likely be cut to allow SOME stretching, but how much depends on the reamer used. So if your chamber is 2.621 (just as example, I do not know the exact specs on cutting a saami spec 300 win mag chamber) and the case is stretching .003 which doesn't seem unreasonable to me if using a near maximum load and if your brass started at 2.620 then it would push pressures higher to some degree, push brass up to the mouth of the chamber compacting it and causing you to get a sticky bolt lift. This was my problem when working up loads for my 111 LRH. Max OAL for this case is 2.170 and that appears to be the exact length of my chamber as I loaded some know HOT loads without trimming and it pushed the brass up around the chamber mouth which I had a perfect indention and outline of on the case when I removed it. Yet when trimmed to 2.160 I can get two firings between trimming and only normal maximum load pressure signs. The load may not be anywhere near maximum with trimmed cases but with max length cases you could very easily get what seemed to be pressure problems. So you have two choices when the case will chamber, trimm the case or reduce your load to the point that it does not stretch at all. Trimming seems more reasonable to me. And I am sure to anyone else here as well.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

With all that said, I am not suggesting if you trim .050+ off your case neck and fill it slam full of RL22 you would not get other pressure signs!!! I am not sure of the outcome but it would likely be negative!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

Not planning on going any higher than I already am. Just going to trim the cases to 2.61, load it like I have been, and try one. If it works, I am sticking with it as it is very accurate. If any problems, I will back off .2 grains at a time til I find a place where there is no problem. Thanks again for you insight.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Long brass will do it for sure but the times I've allowed it to get me I've seen extreme velocity at the crony, enough to scare the crap out of me and it will generally get the primer pockets as it is a true over pressure, vs long head spacing which is not over pressure but gives the appearance of it. Just make sure the over pressure is just not a symptom of other issues, generally to go from stuck bolt to fine pressure you need to back of a couple grains if your over pressure that bad and not some other issue.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks again. As I said earlier, the once reloaded stuff did not stick like the like reloaded so I feel pretty certain it was because of additional stretch from being loaded more than once. Some of the once loaded didn't stick at all. I will let everyone know the results for sure.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

yes the brass at 2.63 could be a problem . get a gauge and cheek oal so your not to long on seating depth also
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Carman, While I don't claim to know it all, I do shoot and load for 300 wm.

In all the talk about your problem, I never once saw anyone discuss how close the bullet's ogive is to the lands of your Savage. If you are touching or into the lands, you must start over at the minimum powder charge.

How far from the lands are you?
Mcmillan Varmiter
Bushnel XRS scope