Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 WIn Mag confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

300 WIn Mag confusion

I have been reloading 300 WIn Mag ammo for about the last year to shoot in my Ruger MK77 Mark II. I settled on a load of 75.4 grains of RL22 behind a 180 grain Nosler E-Tip which gave me a MV of 2975 fps, which is just slightly higher than WInchester's factory loaded E-Tip which has a MV of 2950. These rounds shot very well from my Ruger. However, I just recently bought a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag, and when I shoot these same loads from it, the bolt sticks and I can't remove the shell until several minutes later when the casing cools off. WHAT THE HECK??? Does the Savage have less tolerance in the chamber? I bought a box of Winchester XP3 ammo because our local crappy Bass Pro Shop doesn't carry the E-Tip, and it shot just fine, but the reloads stick like a fly on honey. Anyone have any experience with this Savage rifle or have any similar experience with a Savage.

P.S. The spent primers on the XP3 ammo is flatter than the spent primers on my reloads.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: 300 WIn Mag confusion

Are you neck sizing or FL sizing? My 111 LRH in 6.5-284 is tight enough that it does not allow for me to neck size. When I do I get a very stiff bolt lift with every round. But not stuck. If you are neck sizing, I would try a FL size. That is not a particularly stiff load. I use 76.5 grains behind a 190 hornady with no pressure signs what so ever in my 700. Given the increased bearing surface of the e-tip over a cup and core 180gr the 190 is likely a closer comparison, which is why I mention this load. However it is near max. Again, I would either FL size them or if you already are, try turning your die down about a quarter turn. Also have you measured the length of your brass. My 111 requires that I stay .002 under max saami length or that I keep them at 2.163 or less to avoid pressure and sticky bolt lift. Also winchester brass runs a touch long and in every single instance it has required trimming after the first firing with a factory loaded round. Just a few suggestions. I would bet your chamber is pretty tight, it aids in accuracy, and these guns are generally VERY accurate. Good luck and good shooting!!

Cody
Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Bronze Member

I always do a FL sizing when I reload. I did measure the brass length last night and most exceeded the 2.62" length specified for the brass, including the once fired Winchester loads. I trimmed all of them back to 2.616 and will reload a few tonight to see how they do. This may very well cure the problem.

BTW....I am going to also load some with H1000 to the same velocity as I am currently loading with the RL22. With the same bullet, at the same MV, can you tell me which powder will have the lowest CUP pressure?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

RL-22 is the only powder I have ever used with a 300 win mag, it always gave me great velocity, consistency and grouped as well as I expected from the rifle (under 3/4 MOA) with just about any combination. Not discouraging trying something else, just saying I found one thing that worked very well and stayed with it. I got lucky and got the burn rate I needed the first time. I have not tried H-1000 in anything so maybe someone else will help you out with that one.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Bronze Member

Hopefully the case trimming is going to do the trick. The RL22 has done fine for me as well until I shot it from the Savage. Makes sense that the case length could become an issue in a chamber that has little tolerance, especially since the Savage shoots WAY tighter groups than the Ruger ever thought about.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfvickers View Post
I would bet your chamber is pretty tight, it aids in accuracy, and these guns are generally VERY accurate. Good luck and good shooting!!

Cody
Wrong!

Carman, Its not a tight chamber its a factory chamber which IS SAAMI Spec. The problem is the load is too hot for that gun. Every gun is different and it is VERY obvious the loads are too hot in this gun. You can't just work up a load and shoot it any gun you want. You are lucky you didnt get hurt! Start over (at recommended starting load since it is obvious you dont have enough experience reloading to calculate a better starting point than what the book states) and work up from there. Sorry if this sounds mean but you need to wake up! you have 60,000PSI +/- by your face!Start over and be safe!

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Bronze Member

Tikkamike.....I didn't just start with what the book said. I am not even at the max of what the book says. 2975 fps for a 180 grain bullet is nothing. I see people on here talking about going 3100+ fps with a 180 grain bullet. Are you telling me that the Ruger doesn't have a factory chamber that meets SAAMI specs? I might believe that because it was the most inconsistent rifle I have ever owned. That is why I got rid of it. On top of that, I shot two boxes of Winchester Ballistic Silvertip with 180 grain bullet through the Savage when I broke it in. Did not have any trouble whatsoever and they are loaded hotter than my loads (3000 fps MV). What say you about that?