Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

300 win mag with 210 Vld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 win mag with 210 Vld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Greyfox,keep us (me) lol posted on what you come up with as I just purchased this same rifle a couple of weeks ago still trying to find bullets 215 hybrids or the 210's but prefer trying the 215's Thanks. Sorry to the OP don't want to hijack his thread.
I did some more loadwork today shooting the 210 VLD's with H1000, 75-77 gr in .5gr increments. All loads .010 off the lands. No pressure signs for any of the test loads. Except for my last string, groups held .5MOA or better at 200 yards and ES under 12 FPS. 75.5gr at 2750 FPS was definitely the node with .2MOA and ES of 7FPS. 76,5gr was 2790 FPS, .4MOA, ES 7. Chronograph started giving error codes by the time I got to 77 gr but the group was also .4MOA and I expect the velocity would be around 2810FPS. Each .5 gr increment appeared to give 20-25 FPS. Now I just have to decide on whether I try pushing the velocity a little higher. I have no idea what happened to my chronograph. I have a Super Chrono Acoustic chronograph on the way from Holland. I'll be anxious to see how it works.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

I tried my 300 win again today with the RWS brass I backed off from 78 down to 74, 75,76 and the best groups were at 76 grains no pressure signs and velocity of 2875 fps fastest shot was 2887 and the slowest was 2871 shot a good tight group less than 1/2 inch. with nosler brass this load was a turtle and 79 grains was the best at basically the same velocity no pressure signs and a enlarged .308 hole. I guess my gun is throated and takes more powder to get to pressure as I have yet to have stcky bolt lift or cratered primers.I think with the RWS brass i shot the other day at 78 grains may be over pressure but I can't tell it from components or bolt. I took my primers to a friend who is a bench rest shooter and he thought the all looked good. I will now load some more and shoot some groups at 200,300,400, and 500 yards and see which comes out best the RWS or the nosler load.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryb View Post
I tried my 300 win again today with the RWS brass I backed off from 78 down to 74, 75,76 and the best groups were at 76 grains no pressure signs and velocity of 2875 fps fastest shot was 2887 and the slowest was 2871 shot a good tight group less than 1/2 inch. with nosler brass this load was a turtle and 79 grains was the best at basically the same velocity no pressure signs and a enlarged .308 hole. I guess my gun is throated and takes more powder to get to pressure as I have yet to have stcky bolt lift or cratered primers.I think with the RWS brass i shot the other day at 78 grains may be over pressure but I can't tell it from components or bolt. I took my primers to a friend who is a bench rest shooter and he thought the all looked good. I will now load some more and shoot some groups at 200,300,400, and 500 yards and see which comes out best the RWS or the nosler load.
If you account for the difference in barrel length between our rifles, I think we seeing similiar effects. My best groups are running 75.5-76gr. with ES of 5-7 FPS and velocities of 2750-2775FPS. My barrel is 24". I also see no pressure signs at 77gr using Norma brass. I'm up to 4 firings, neck sizing and have no chambering resistance yet.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Greyfox , Thanks for the update,I have yet to find any 215's or 210's. I don't really want to load any thing different as this will be my hunting round and I always load what I am going to hunt with. You have though eleviated one of my concerns that the 24" barrel would not give the vel. I would like to get,and your groups are really sounding good. I owe you a big debt of gratitude you are preety much working up a load for me since we have the same rifle.

What brake are you running, or are you running one. I am looking at either a mussel brake, or JP. I have a vias on my 7mm and really like it but don't want the blowing debris with the 300. once I find some bullets I will be good to go as I have every thing else, and will keep you posted as to how I'm doing and if we are seeing similar results. Thanks again, Rick

Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Greyfox , Thanks for the update,I have yet to find any 215's or 210's. I don't really want to load any thing different as this will be my hunting round and I always load what I am going to hunt with. You have though eleviated one of my concerns that the 24" barrel would not give the vel. I would like to get,and your groups are really sounding good. I owe you a big debt of gratitude you are preety much working up a load for me since we have the same rifle.

What brake are you running, or are you running one. I am looking at either a mussel brake, or JP. I have a vias on my 7mm and really like it but don't want the blowing debris with the 300. once I find some bullets I will be good to go as I have every thing else, and will keep you posted as to how I'm doing and if we are seeing similar results. Thanks again, Rick
Rick, I'm not using a break....but have one coming from Elk Meadow. I've been using a shoulder protector with all the shooting.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Rick, I'm not using a break....but have one coming from Elk Meadow. I've been using a shoulder protector with all the shooting.
Greyfox thanks for info, I will be shooting with a break, 2 herniated disks fused togeather doesn't make for pleasant shooting with the larger magnums without one. Shooting prone gets to me after a few shoots.
Rick

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

I'm also using H1000 with the Berger 210 gr. VLD in my Remington 700 XCR LRT 300 Win. Mag. It has a 26 inch barrel. Loading 75.5 grains, as suggested as the max load in the Berger manual, I got almost identical velocity as the manual at 2812 fps using W-W brass. Groups were around 3/4 inch at 100 yards. When I increased the charge to 76 gr. Of H1000 the velocity increased to 2846 fps. I had the bullets touching the lands with a COL of 3.580". The ES and SD were not that great, both in double digits. Groups stayed around 3/4". There were no signs of high pressure but without a break it kicks like a young mule. The barrel ha three wide flutes but there is plenty of round barrel at the muzzle to install a break.

I intend to get better brass when the craziness ends. Next thing I intend to do is change the distance off the lands to see if I can tighten up the groups.